The extra bits...(Under construction).

Wednesday, 19 February 2014

Grumpy...

     Ah to be free of the grind for a while, nice whilst it lasted. I managed to get a walk in with Bear around Nercwys woods, which was far more strenuous than anticipated. And before I hear any wisecracks about getting older and my expanding waistline, the reason, other than feeling older and my expanding waistline, was the amount of wind felled timber lying across the usually easy to traverse trails:-






     I have to admit to being a tad melancholy as I strolled between each minor assault course that every fallen tree offered. True the trails around Nercwys woods are pleasant enough to stroll around but some aspects about them brought home the impact man has and is still having upon the environment. As a species we have plundered, raped and mis-managed this living planet we call home for the pursuit of bigger, better faster and we have scant regard of the consequences left in our wake unless we are directly affected by some act of nature as she shows her pain and discomfort, the floods in the South East of England being an example. We clamour for flood defences and immediate action but in the end short term answers are just passing the buck to those who follow. I heard a snippet on the radio t'other day that perhaps by managing the resources we have and implementing ideas such as encouraging not a concrete jungle in our cities and built up areas but a lush oasis with ideas such as living roofs and waste land turned to traditional woodland. Ideas such as these would, it was suggested, slow the flow of water out from the millions of square feet of barron roofing and paved areas, absorb some of the carbon dioxide we are told is contributing to our woes (as well as other toxins), allow food to be grown in these areas and perhaps help us be more in tune with nature and the seasons...something mankind seems to have long forgotten. Maybe we just want to self destruct, maybe it's our nature? but I for one would like to think a difference could be made if enough education, resources and will power was there. Anyway, rant over (for now) just one thing to add though about mis-management. I guess we all think of Yellowstone park as a great wilderness that we managed in the past without fault? well perhaps not but a recent change of tack in the 70's, well very recent in nature's time scale, saw some forward thinking occur and the re-introduction of the American apex predator occurred with some surprising and truly amazing results. Thanks to 'T' on her wonderful blog, found here, for sharing this link...



     One positive though is that I've kept in contact with my parents seeing them whilst off. I showed my father the pocket watch that I recently obtained and explained to him that even though some material folk think that old stuff should be locked away and just appreciated from afar that I love the feel and the use of such items and intend to try and use more such things in an effort to slow my life and stay in touch with a time when faster, bigger wasn't always better. He listened intently (makes a bloody change), then trundled off without a word! Mum came in with a brew and the obligatory biscuit and I thought nothing more of it, that was till ol' string vest trundled back in and placed something in my hand saying "for you son"...



     It's my great grandad's 25 year service award and retirement gold watch from Imperial Chemical Industries or ICI as tis known. I was dumb struck at being handed such items to be trusted with. I've carefully wound the watch and put it alongside the my silver one and, after decades of non use, it has kept perfect time! So now I have two beautiful timepieces, the silver one for everyday and the gold one for when I'm feeling posh. Oh and speaking of which, using old stuff that is, I've just obtained this little beauty as number 3 of my 52 in a year things to do:-


     I'm selling all my 'modern' fishing stuff and replacing it with this single rod and other 'old' equipment. Instead of sitting my fat arse upon the river bank as I used to when I fished in the dim and distant past I intend to use a basic 'old' set up and rove the waters in search of the fish, well that's the plan. Well I've waffled enough methinks so fare thee well good folk.

John




12 comments:

  1. Great to see you've had a wander while away, John. Though it does look like Mother Nature has been ripping up the landscape over there.

    Loving the timepieces! And the flyfishing rod, you are on pace with me as I've inherited a couple myself and will be getting them ready to go for this spring. It will be a great way to get fresh air into the lungs, no doubt.

    And you well know my feelings about our impact on the environment. Nature will have the last say, though, and we'll pay, she'll win in the long run. Sad to watch what's going on though, for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah tis not a fly rod my friend, t'will be used for the chasing of perch, tench, roach and eel methinks. Yes I agree with you on the fact that nature will indeed have the last say. Oh by the way have received your mail and I'm working up to a reply.

      Delete
  2. I've noticed a few trees down here too, even though we haven't really had strong winds. I blame the bloody Forestry Commission; they were always so smug about planting their huge square areas of nasty pine trees.

    Nice gold watch. Sadly these things are now sold by their gold weight only, so examples in good condition are worth buying I'm sure. There soon won't be many left.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right about the Forestry commission, their squares are pine filled deserts methinks. So many bygone items, as this watch, are sadly just a monetary item these days.

      Delete
  3. We are having a bypass built against everyone's wishes and the amount of ancient trees they've felled is disgusting. The alternative route wasn't viable due to newts being found. I think the newts should have been relocated as there was far less countryside to massacre that way. But hey, what do I know?!
    How wonderful of your Dad x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Call me a tad sceptical but wouldn't it be in everyone's interest to look at ways of reducing the need for bypasses and the like? It's also peculiar how many times 'rare' newt habitats are found when an alternative route puts more money into the arse pocket of councillors, planners etc...allegedly that be.
      Yeah even Ol' string vest can still surprise me with the odd moment of warmth.

      Delete
  4. I totally agree with you John about the way humans destroy the planet. 'Humanity' by the Scorpions sums it all up. There's a brilliant video of it on You Tube.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As a race we are killing this planet bit by bit, which is why as an individual we should try and lessen our impact of living on the earth. Any small change for the good has to help in some small way.
    Enjoy your "new" watch, you must have got your message over well to your dad on the beauty of old things for him to have given you that :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's sometimes disheartening though when so few are trying but yes any change is better than none at all Dreamer.
      Regarding string vest, there's a first time for everything ;)

      Delete
  6. There is just something beautiful about old things. Worn and shiny with use, a few dents or cracks here and there. I use an early 70's food processor that I was 'given' in exchange for a couple of jars of jam, many, many years ago. I know it is only 44 old years old but I love it. Also have a late 1960's one but it has a cracked bowl so too dangerous to use. Reference our abuse of this planet. I agree wholeheartedly. So many people paving over their drives for instance. Gravel would work just as well but also allow the ground to soak up the extra water.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A few dents n cracks here and there......sounds like me :)

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to comment but no blaspheming now...