The extra bits...(Under construction).

Monday, 11 August 2014

Common sense? .....

     So following on from yesterday's post and the encouragement given by your comments...... Curse you all....ahem, I rose with the larks this morn refreshed and ready to start on the road to mind and body redemption, though it may well prove to be long and wearisome, no doubt fraught with many a danger! Actually, truth be told, I woke myself up at about half six with my racking coughing and could I bugger get back to sleep. So, thoroughly grumpy, I stomped downstairs to make a suger laden brew with intent on snatching a few more hours sleep being as the dreaded night shift was to descend upon me this evening. Oh and there were no bleedin'  larks up at that time either.

     I digress, sitting there clamping my steaming mug and reading your comments on yesterday's post....damn n blast you all.... I thought to myself perhaps the now is the time to start, no excuses, no grumbling, just get off my arse and go for a walk. After all a few easy miles in the fresh air ambled over a couple of hours should be fine, I'll even be able to get me head down before nights and regain some much needed rest.

     So half an hour later I find myself stepping onto once familiar trails accompanied by the Bear....



     Leaving the phone in the car seemed sensible as the dark sky and steadily building wind held the promise of rain upon it's whispered breath. It felt good to be 'out there' once more, though my gasping breath, laboured footfall and the Bears excited charging into the undergrowth negated any chance of seeing wildlife let alone being accepted by it, but in time that will come. A couple of miles of tortured walking and being soaked to the sink....side note, none of my old outdoor gear comes close to fitting my expanded frame anymore.....it was time to trudge wearily back to the car. But then it happened, clambering over a wet, moss covered fallen tree, I lost my footing and went down like the proverbial sack of spuds.....bugger! Leaving the phone in the car did not seem so sensible now! Gingerly dragging myself up I found myself quickly on my arse again, my right knee which has been twinging for some months now had decided to give up the ghost and refused to support my weight any longer, can't say that I blame it though! 

      With no other soul around apart from Bear, I was beginning to understand my foolishly unprepared rashness and regretted forgetting the lessons of trail walking I used to follow religiously even on the shortest of walks. With no option but to make my way back I had to calm myself and just focus. Casting around I was fortunate enough to find a stout branch to support myself on and gritting my teeth I began the return journey. Mind you better gritting my teeth than have them chewing all the junk food they've been forced to mash lately. Considering the brief time it took on the outward stretch the nearly five hours on the return was an eternity of pain but also relearning some harsh lessons of the trail. Fair play, Bear stayed with me all the way, never thinking of once using my predicament to run riot. There is not much else to tell cept the upshot was a rushed meal of leftovers and a quick wash was all the time I had once I got back to my abode before I had to limp out again and go to work. Which is where I sit on my brews writing this for you to shake your heads at as I force my way through the shift dosed up on painkilling pills and energy drinks.....not a good start to the campaign eh Julee?

     Has this put a stop to my rebuilding myself? Well its put it on pause but it has in fact made me more determined to succeed. Taking the sensible move of getting myself checked out at the Docs will happen this week, I need to refrain from trying to replicate what I used to able to do and instead build myself up slowly taking my knackered bodies age and condition into consideration. Yes I need to relearn many lessons and take smaller steps...but I'll get there and if you can be bothered reading I'll be telling you about it here. 

Till the next time, take care.

John

   

     

24 comments:

  1. Bugger now I'll have to post something else, as I was in the middle of writing you a letter for my next post! Maybe this was a lesson that needed teaching. Fret not! And, I am sorry about your knee...except now, you'll HAVE to walk it out. Take care and take it slow, my friend. This is not a setback.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew the Anglo Saxon would eventually rub off on you Casey! Not looking forward to walking it out but you're right in that the lesson was needed. I'm not looking forward to my 'mot' at the Doc's..... It'll tell me how far I've declined.

      Delete
    2. Um, I posted a letter to you anyway.

      Delete
  2. I shall read it forthwith, if not sooner!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good on you and Bear for getting out there and now having this tale to tell... But very sorry about the knee! Ouch! Out of curiosity I read Casey's letter to you, he's making some good points... Advice to heed.

    Now for some sleep?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually slept well....which is a plus....Casey is an insightful person.

      Delete
  4. You poor thing! five hours.........gulp.

    At least Bear was a loyal little soldier though eh?

    Going to the Docs is a good thing to make sure your ok though. My Docs can refer you to the dreaded weight watchers and gym for free (I love free) I know this may not be up your street but on my lowest points I would have loved someone to talk to....

    "Hello my name is Julee and I'm a BenandJerrysholic" so if you think this would help ask what they have on offer.

    I hope your feeling better today, let me know how you are later my lovely x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apart from a knee that I cannot bend and a back that's in two or more pieces....not too bad. Never said this would be easy...glad of the company upon this journey Julee.

      Delete
  5. I feel your pain. I almost hobbled myself for two weeks doing nothing more than stomping on aluminum cans. The next day my knee wouldn't bend and hurt for days then when it got to feeling better I hurt it again mowing the lawn.

    Whats the world coming to when I have t be careful stomping a can...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Damn those cans PP.... They're just too sneaky my man

      Delete
  6. One pound of weight loss is equal to the loss of ten pounds of pressure on the knees, so even teeny steps make a big difference. Not start by halving that sugar in your brews - it's bad for your teeth too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah but my teeth are knackered already lass, but I hear you :)

      Delete
  7. I'm with Casey on this one Pirate John- a lesson learned :-) Being fit and healthy in your 40's is different to being fit in your 30s, and so on, and you have to adjust accordingly. I started running last Sept. I began with half a mile (walking when I got out of puff), and slowly built up to a mile with no walking, now I do a mile and a half every other day and know that that's enough for me. I feel better for it and it's not an unrealistic distance therefore I keep it up week after week. My OH runs marathons and is 7 years older than me, but that's fine because it suits him. We're all different- don't berate yourself my dear, just find a pace that you are happy with. And get some arnica 30 down your neck for the bruised knee :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you CT, never heard of arnica 30…?

      Delete
    2. Homeopathic treatment for bruising. Works a treat. Boots will stock it, or your local health food shop :-)

      Delete
  8. Well done on taking the first step but so so sorry to hear of the fall and knee injury. Just take it slowly and good luck at the doctors.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I take glucosamine for the arthritis in me neck (I'm not a 100 I promise) dunno if that would work at all for you. Told you to sit on the hill for starters ha. Glad you went out there though as sounds like your on a winner. Also your worst nightmare...loadsa females nagging ya xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tell me about it :(
      To be honest the support is welcomed

      Delete
  10. Sending healing thoughts and energy your way - take care lovvie xxx Froogs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My email is on my contact bit on my blog - you know where I am lovvie - as Americans say - mail me x

      Delete
  11. I'll be in touch Froogs... and thank you x

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to comment but no blaspheming now...