The extra bits...(Under construction).

Monday, 18 August 2014

Quest for knowledge.....

     Well I finally managed to push myself out onto a walk today without causing myself any permanent damage! Unfortunately it was not a walk upon the distant hills but one upon the lanes around the village. I must admit though to being pleasantly surprised by how enjoyable the walk was, something that I didn't expect with it just been on roadsides, and well trodden public paths. But our route did lead alongside a small river for a time and although my clumping steps and Bear's mad thrashing through every available copse made wildlife scarce, non the less it was nice to be out there at long last.

      Now to the rub, so to speak. I have a love of the outdoors yet my knowledge of flora and fauna would make the third smallest book in the world, behind the Irish book of knowledge and the Scottish book of free gifts! Due to events past I have no field books and this is where you, oh happy reader, come in. No I'm not asking you for field books, money or scantly glad maidens ...er well.. to help on my quest to actually know something's name and a tad about it when I see it, oh no no and thrice no, I would like you to identify and perhaps part some knowledge about some of the flora and fauna that I photograph. So to this end every week I shall take me camera with me as I thud along the trails and ask for some help in identifying at least three items of wildlife.... Please.

     Now because I'm writing this on me crappy phone I've made the mistake of loading the pictures first in no particular order and am now adding my fumbling words, well I am skiving in work on the dreaded night shift. So you have to bear with me and check for the three pictures numbered, imaginatively, one to three and then impart your worldly wisdom to this outdoor dunce if you would be so kind.

Picture one.

Picture ttwo





Picture three


     It will be also interesting to see if there is any differences in local names and how widespread each piece of wildlife is. Oh the other pics are from the same walk today and is it me or does the air and the colors already seem a tad autumnal?


Till the next time, take good care,

John.




31 comments:

  1. Picture one looks like a Gatekeeper butterfly, a female by markings...can't believe you got me looking at bloody butterflies, gonna take me a while to recover lol
    BJ xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well you certainly seem confident in your identification BJ, would you happen to know how it got the name ’ gatekeeper'? X

      Delete
  2. Good on you! You got out! :-) It does look like a nice walk...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not before time WS, legs are aching though now :(

      Delete
  3. Picture 3: could it be this?

    http://wildfoodsandmedicines.com/fireweed/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't know as the page won't load up on my crappy phone. :-(

      Delete
  4. Aha....more skiving on nights and I do believe you're onto something WS....looked up Fireweed and yes I believe you've hit the nail upon the head...over here, if it is this plant, it is called Rosebay Willowherb or another name I've found is Bombweed. I found this link useful....http://mobile.wildlifetrusts.org/site/wildlifetrusts?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.wildlifetrusts.org%2Fspecies%2Frosebay-willowherb#2536 well this seems to be going well so far.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The final picture is my kinda walking spot; beautiful. I notice there is also a bit of wall building in it. By the way, the 3rd smallest book is 'The Muslim Book of How to Win Friends and Influence People'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The wall, I think, harks back to the time when then valley was a major source of lead mining...part of the walk actually goes past a lead mine museum. I guess that makes mine the fourth smallest book then Cro :)

      Delete
    2. :)
      there is another small book but I don't want to discuss politic in my first comment in this nice blog:)
      I am so sorry I could not identify any of the flowers.but I shall try every time.

      Delete
    3. Hi Yeal and welcome to my fumbling effort of a blog, tend not to do politics nor religion unless its to take the Mick :) Any and all help is most welcome on the identity game.

      Delete
  6. No good asking me I've got Irish and Scottish blood in my veins! Well done on the walk, how's the crisp eating going???

    ReplyDelete
  7. What crisp eating? ;-) next week's cut will be harder..... Cheese! Oh god help me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well done you!!! I'm on day four of no coffee. My head feels like someones squashing it in a vice and my body feels like I have flu...........tell me how this makes you feel better?

      Dreading giving up cheese so will join you in stopping next week.

      Your doing amazingly well xx

      Delete
    2. Cheers Julee.... Sounds like no pain no gain with the coffee :( I'm really not looking forward to the no cheese, just love the bloody stuff!

      Delete
  8. Gatekeeper buterfly is also known as the hedge brown. It's found near gates were flowers grow and along fields with flowering hedgerows hence the two names given.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah thank you Anon (funny name that) even more info than I hoped for.

      Delete
  9. First pic is a Gatekeeper, second looks like Arum maculatum (lords and ladies) berries, and the third is a willowherb, most likely rosebay :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well CT looks like you have the full set, many thanks.

      Delete
  10. Good on you for taking some great photographs, going for a saunter and for showing the world that you have got a great sense of humour John.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like this feature, John. I get to learn something as well. The berries in pic 2...are they attached hanging low on a stem or upright from the ground? They look vaguely like our Baneberry over here, only because to me it looks like they are on a stem standing up from the ground. And Baneberry, you can guess, is not an edible. Congrats on the venture out - can tell by the photos and post that you had a good time . Take care -

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Upright from the ground my good man, me thinks CT has nailed it. Thing is I'm learning than I thought, by following folks answers up on tinternet. I think this will become a regular feature.

      Delete
  12. i'm not good on iding things across the pond, but it sure looks like a nice place to walk!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why thank you little lady ;) your comments are most welcome

      Delete
  13. Glad you got out, shall keep eyes open for pocket books so you can enjoy identifying thingamees and doodahs, maybe they will entice you out a bit further. Ever fancy a stomp round Bodmin moor then there's a walking buddy who would happily tramp along too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Froogs....reminds me that I need to email about something if thats ok?

      Delete
  14. Oh I forgot you have photographed a lesser spotted invasive bramble! Be careful it looks like it's already invaded your blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually tis the caninous droolous I do believe..

      Delete
  15. Sorry for the late response - getting very behind with blogging at the moment. Butterfly is a Gatekeeper also known as Hedge Brown. Berries look like Lords and Ladies to me. Not sure of the fern/bracken species. the 6th photo shows hazel with the cob nuts forming. Pink flower photo 8 as so many say looks like Rosebay Willowherb. The pink leaves with bramble leaves - I wondered if they were the leaves of herb robert which can be pinky green but not so sure - flowers on herb robert are tiny and pink. Looks a lovely walk.

    So sorry to read how awful you are feeling in your latest post. Hang on in there John - I am sure in life you give people far more happiness than you realise in your darkest moments. You certainly spread much happiness on Blogger. Do hope things improve soon - please take care. Thinking of you. Best wishes Caroline

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to comment but no blaspheming now...