The extra bits...(Under construction).

Thursday, 4 December 2014

A new lady in my life....

     The astute amongst you may well have noted the first line of yesterday's post, "Whilst having  a quiet moment to myself..." and wondered to yourselves what, beside the grind, could be keeping young Mr. Wooldridge so busy that a quiet moment is noteworthy? Well to tell the truth there be a new lady in my life and over the last few days we, including Bear, have been getting to know each other and spending some time away from the world as happens when these things occur. I have shied away from introducing her to the world as is it best to be sure, I feel, that relationships are indeed going to last awhile before blathering away about them to others and then feeling the fool when they fail. And it is also true that during my life over the last few years I have found myself in no position mentally to take on a new relationship without causing pain to others and myself so for me this is a huge yet unavoidable step so without further ado nor embroilment of words let me introduce you to the lady who has entered mine and Bear's life like a breath of fresh sea air, please meet Nelly......


Ta Daaaa

     Isn't she a cutie pie or what? Now to be honest I have indeed been reluctant to share in the news of the  arrival of Nelly the Elephant as for one I wasn't sure that she'd be staying with Bear n me for any length of time as she'd have to fit in with Bear and my at times nomadic lifestyle (to be honest I also have, at times, trouble enough looking after myself) and secondly I do tend these days to be more reclusive and divulge less about myself and my life, as boring as it may be. But I was perusing some of my favourite bloggers work today and a piece by my friend John Grey hit home, titled The Unwanted it may be found here, for Nelly too was unwanted so I thought that I'd share the story of how I've ended up with another four legged friend.

     Don't get me wrong, Nelly was not treated badly but she was just used for a purpose and not as a pet nor as a companion. You see Nelly was brought up by breeders for the sole purpose of introducing new blood stock into the lines, which is fine, yet as soon as she proved not fit for purpose she was put up for sale to be moved on from the only home she had known because she was no longer profitable. Yes I understand this and the need to make money, after all I grew up in the world of Greyhound racing and the atrocities that occur in that business make Nelly's plight pale into nothing really but it still didn't sit well with me when I heard about her so I made a call and arranged to go and see her along with Bear. 

     Nelly and Bear hit it off immediately and she does has a certain way of cocking her head and looking at you in such a sad and pleading way that my heart melted but my head surprisingly still ruled the day. Turns out that she's of a similar age to the Bear but has only known the kennels all her life whilst me and Bear have drifted from place to place, when she was last bred apparently she had too many pups inside of her and had to be operated upon removing them and her womb, seven out of ten pups surviving. She raised these util they were old enough to be sold and at this point she became surplus to requirements.  So should I take on a young, un-house trained bitch still recovering from just rearing her pups and a major operation was the question I faced. I asked for time to think and me and Bear left, after all could I give her the life she deserved after I have failed others in so many ways? 

     But perhaps not only would Bear have a companion whilst I'm at the grind but also maybe this could be another step on the road to my healing and making up for my past wrongs? The more I thought about Nelly the more that she seemed to have come along at the right time so a phone call later and just a few days ago the Beagle had landed. Was I right? well time will only tell though Bramble is happy with her new toy! we've only had a couple of accidents and she is surprisingly clean for a kennel dog and her arrival has given me more focus. We're not walking at the moment as Nelly has a long road to recover fully and Bear is in season so the timing is good. Hopefully, as the signs seem to be at the moment, this will be the start of a special chapter in my life and who knows, perhaps life won't be too bad after all, time will tell.

Double trouble!


Till the next time, from the three of us, thank you for reading and take care.

John




36 comments:

  1. Adorable. Lovely Nelly and lovely Bear. Well done you x

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are such a softie. I can see how she stole your heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah she's a little imp Mark, looking forward to unleashing her upon the trails.

      Delete
  3. That is one hang dog expression

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One almost to match Winnie's......almost.

      Delete
  4. oo she's so lovely, how exciting. The double trouble photo is gorgeous. Sometimes we save the dogs and then they end up saving us x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bramble had done that for me once already Hazzy x

      Delete
  5. Well of course you gotta keep her now she is already home.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Replies
    1. So far nothing, she's fitted in superbly Mr. Smythe.

      Delete
  7. Welcome Nelly ....
    You are one lucky girl ...
    I'm sure you will receive lots of love and many happy adventures out in the woods with bear. .well done John *
    BW *

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you BW, two hounds to hose down after woodland adventures now.

      Delete
  8. She looks beautiful, and I'm sure Bear will appreciate a new chum. No jealousy so far?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cro, the only jealousy so far is who can push in closest for a fuss, they are as thick as thieves and are definitely plotting together already.

      Delete
  9. Oh bless her, Bear and you. Bit like Sue and Mavis, getting her dog back after it had run away and Beeb bred, goodness knows how many times. Hope when she has fully recovered she will keep up with you both on your wanderings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure her stubby little legs will do just fine on the trail DC

      Delete
  10. Nelly is gorgeous, John. So are the kitchen tiles.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cheers Dave, think this house dates back to the 1860's with still some original features.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations on the new lady in your and Bear's life!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have a soft spot for Beagles having had one years ago. A fellow was standing behind a sporting goods store with a young Beagle in the back of his pickup, trying to give it away. He was moving and couldn't keep it. I took it home and it quickly became my father's dog. When Dad passed away, "Happy" reverted back to me. Happy lived up to his name; never a dull moment and pleasant memories. Good luck with your new friend.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you Bob, she certainly does seem a happy little soul at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nelly looks to be a sweetie John. I've always shared me life with rescue pups. Mostly because no one else would have them which is such a shame. They have always been so loving and that in a way is a thank you for saving me. Can you see the big S on me forehead? They can :) Me thinks she will become a part of your family so quickly and Bear will learn that females rule the roost :) Patience is the key but from your photos she is quite at home already. Congratulations John!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think I may have that same S Cheryl... By the way Bear is a Lady as well so now I have two in my life, I must have so bad in a previous existence!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful, John. Good for you. Rescue dogs make the best friends! Glad to hear that Miss Bear likes her, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jennifer, trouble is that the pair of them are as thick as thieves already and up to mischievous doings at every opportunity!

      Delete
    2. Well, my dad always said,"A man can't win in a house full of women." So I guess you'd better get used to it!

      Delete
  18. What a moving story - congratulations on your new lady. Both Nelly and Bear are just adorable :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Robin, adorable now maybe but we'll see what they are like after a few hours in the woods.

      Delete
  19. adorable! i have 4 big dogs and i'd not want to have a single dog alone any more. i see how well the 'pairs' do with each other.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you TexWisGirl, they certainly do better for the company.

    ReplyDelete
  21. John what a great post, your dogs are beautiful and I love it that your new dog has been given a new home and the chance of a lovely life with you.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to comment but no blaspheming now...