The extra bits...(Under construction).

Sunday, 11 January 2015

Being positive...ish......

      Bloody hell it would appear that this lurgy thing is a damn sight harder to be rid of than a bout of raging syphilis! Yes in my last post I indeed came across as the decrepit and whining old fart that I seem to be evolving towards and I was told off as such and also for fishing for compliments by the domestic goddess known as Rachel "stiff upper lip" Radiostar (her brilliant ramblings to be found here), god bless her cuddly cuteness. So with her bee still ringing in my lug hole I thought that I'd take note and be more positive in my scribings and not so "self depreciation ing" but I'm ill damn it and fast becoming a tad pissed with the whole sorry episode. I mean to say, it's bad enough being depressed but to have nearly three weeks off from the grind completely ruined by firstly a chest infection and now, because my immune system is kaput, to be laid low by a bleeding virus! there is absolutely no bloody justice is there?

      But I shall endeavor for Rachel's benefit, and to prevent another ear bashing, to look at the, ahem, positives of my sorry situation so here goes..... Well firstly my lurgy is no longer affecting holiday time off work as my rota started on Friday just gone. Well that is I should have started on Friday just gone but I'm now on the 'sick' with all the managerial frowning and tutting that entails. Secondly I've actually lost weight, a stone now since December 23rd, which is great for this rotund ickle Welshman, well that is it would be if I had lost lard but with my lack of solids the only thing I'm likely to have lost is water and muscle mass and I have little enough muscle to lose in the first place. Oh and thirdly I've managed to avoid all the rain, high winds and sleet that have pummeled the village during my enforced hibernation, great eh? No it bloody well is not, it means that the dogs and I are climbing the walls with cabin fever! I love Winter weather and being 'out there' in the worst of it.....it's part of being and feeling alive for Gods sake.

     So ok maybe not as positive as I could be yet things are improving. Yesterday my appetite returned a little so I actually, for the first time ever, made chicken soup from scratch even down to using my own home made chicken stock from the day before's roast chicken (from which I managed one paltry chicken sandwich) and it was bloody delicious even if I do say so myself. Today was another simple meal of corned beef mash and cabbage...bloody lovely again I might add. It is wonderful to be able to taste food once more and hopefully I'll soon be eating more than one meal a day! Also I've managed to step over the threshold and venture outside once again, only long enough to reinstate the gale blown bird feeders and top them up. Pleased with this little task, earlier today I was rewarded with Wren, Dunnock, Robin, Blackbird and Chaffinch in the small area that passes as a garden. 

      Spurred on with the sudden need 'to do' I thought that I'd write this sort of positive post but was confronted by a study that was not so much a workable area but rather a room that has amassed a multitude of paperwork and detritus that will require my attention within the coming weeks. So I decided to clear said study to produce a pleasant and conducive work area (oh I should offer office ambience advice), with the result that now I have my desk back and am able to reach my keyboard and printer. As for the urgent paperwork I need to trawl through it has been carefully filed in cardboard box number one! 

     I must say that every little bit of effort has me sweating like the proverbial hog, even climbing the stairs entails a sit down to regain my breath at the moment but there is some improvement at last so hopefully it will not be to long afore my tales here are more about being 'out there' instead of about being 'in here'.....

'Till the next time, take care,

John

18 comments:

  1. Remember John, little steps, don't try to become a Pollyanna all at once! lol - I'm glad that you seem to be improving some. Better have some more chicken soup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mr. Smythe though I'm thinking tuna steaks tonight to help with me muscles or lack of them at the moment.

      Delete
  2. Luckily I am rarely ill, but if laid low I usually read Hardy's Jude the Obscure. It's such a depressing book that I become eager to make myself well again, and I'm sure it cuts a few days from my bed confinement. Worth a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmmm not sure I could handle anything even more depressed than I at the moment Cro.....maybe when I get a bout of extreme happiness?

      Delete
  3. YAYYYYY!! A much more lovely read. The lurgy IS the pits. Four whole weeks I felt like crap with it. I'm now in week six and feel a lot like my old self, but I have got a touch of the left over lazines! I don't care wether your tales are from in here or out there....just keep em coming ! You should have shown us yer soup!!
    To all your other readers and commenters - I'm not that much of a bossy boots.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad this meets your approval o wise one, ah but you being a bossy boots does have the right affect my dear girl.

      Delete
  4. It is horrid being poorly. I do sympathise. I make a rubbish patient- can't stand being cooped up either. Glad you are starting to feel better. More wet windy weather coming this week. Waterproofs? Ct x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you CT, wind arrived here last night and we're not talking the sprout induced type!

      Delete
  5. I'm glad to hear you are feeling better, hope you'll be able to get outside soon and you might have snow to play in too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, in circumstances like this you just have to keep keeping on! Sounds like you have at least turned the corner which is a good start.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers DC, yep a corner being turned feels about right although I'm still on its apex at the mo.

      Delete
  7. Keep on writing John. I always look forward to your blog posts!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you Dave, but you always were easily pleased ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. On your side of the pond, you guys have a poetic way of describing being sick. On this side, being sick is just a pain in the ass. Good to hear you're rebounding.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm glad you think so Mark yet the reality would hold much more Anglo Saxon if I wasn't trying to be on best behaviour with my language!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad you are on the mend, do you have any hobbies John? I started painting watercolours the first time the black dog came calling, I now try to keep busy, read, go for a walk, sew, garden, anything to fill my head when I feel it creeping back. I also meditate which works for me.
    Onwards and upwards chuck
    Twiggy

    ReplyDelete
  12. I used to walk somewhat and photograph what caught my eye but I've lost the urge these days as I seem to have lost sight of pleasing things. I guess I need to find a distraction when the dog nips Twiggy, I'll give your words some thought, thank you m'dear.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to comment but no blaspheming now...