The extra bits...(Under construction).

Friday, 16 January 2015

Shepherd's left over pie .....

     Well here's a turn up for the book, or should that read blog?, John (moi) puts up a recipe post! Well part of me is trying to regain some interest in life again and live to some older values one of which is to live a tad more frugally and so have less impact as a member of the parasitic human race upon this living planet. Ok speech over and onto the recipe.....

       Had a small shoulder of lamb roast yesterday which left me with some meat left over though not enough perhaps for a casserole on its own. So I decided to make a shepherd's from the remains so here goes nothing....

     Firstly after rooting through my dismal food stock (not been shopping cause of the lurgy) I came up with these basic ingredients....

Lamb shoulder (obviously)
The removed and shredded lamb (more meat than I thought)
A few popotatoes
Two finely sliced carrots
One roughly chopped onion & two garlic cloves softened.
Some mature cheddar with mixed herbs added...
garlic, oregano, pepper & rosemary.

      I set the potatoes to boil until soft enough to mash, about twenty minutes once the water is boiling. If I'd have had any potato left from last night, whether roasted or mashed I'd have used this for the covering mash. Whilst these were boiling merrily away I prepared the rest of the ingredients mixing the carrot, garlic and softened onion thoroughly to the shredded lamb. I wanted some moisture to the mix and added about 100 g of boiled water from the potatoes, half a stock cube and a tiny touch of gravy browning. Again if I'd have had enough gravy from the previous meal I'd have used this instead....

Mixed and a very expectant Bear!

       Once soft enough, without starting to disintegrate, I mashed the potatoes adding far less milk and butter than I usually would as it would be far to sloppy and watery when added to the meat and cooked. The mash is then spread evenly over the lamb mix and I used a fork to 'plough' the top surface to allow it to crisp. Finally I added the cheese and herb mix to the top and put in a pre-heated oven, mid shelf at gas mark 5....

Even putting the topping on does not deter the Bear....

     I left this for about 45 minutes checking that it was browning nicely, when I judged that the cheese and potato topping was turning golden and just beginning to crisp up I put the peeled sprouts on for just over 10 minutes (I could eat a bowl full of em with just butter and pepper on em). Once the sprouts were done it was just a simple case of serving....

Hey presto, a cheap tasty meal for two...
     
     So there you have it, John's shepherd's left over pie. It actually tasted bloody good if I'm honest and I hope that you have enjoyed this rather different post from yours truly.

'till the next time, eat well and take care,

John



     

32 comments:

  1. I put corn in mine but you can't go wrong with Shepherds pie!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only had these few ingredients PP though I suppose the only thing I'd have added would have been peas.....then again corn? might be worth a trail methinks.

      Delete
  2. I've not thought of putting cheese on the top of a shepherd's pie, but a few extra calories always sound good to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that crisped cheese does add a certain something Cro, and not just a thicker waistline!

      Delete
  3. That's looks gorgeous!! Fab post - nice style :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why thank you oh domestic goddess, praise indeed.....and it was bloody lovely, clean plates all round :-)

      Delete
  4. Well done, it looks lovely, I forgot to add cheese to ours and it needed it. Ah well, must remember to put it on the one from the freezer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You forgot the cheese!!!! Thanks for the comment DC :-)

      Delete
  5. Yum! I made something similar with ground beef recently. I agree that cheese on top is great. Did Bear get a taste? She looks so hopeful in that picture!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jennifer, thanks for the comment and no, try as she might, Bear did not receive an titbits no matter how pleading her face is.

      Delete
  6. Looks yummy. Congratulations, a man that likes Brussel Sprouts too. Have you tried them with yellow mustard? That's the way I eat them, when I can get them. My wife hates them so it's a rare occasion. Good recipe for pie on the fly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll give sprouts a try with yellow mustard Mark, usually just smother them in real butter and white pepper but always game to try new stuff.

      Delete
  7. i've made shepherd's pie before with ground beef as lamb is not very prevalent here (and the few times i've tried it, i didn't like it). rather takes the 'shepherd' part out of the pie, though, doesn't it? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That it does...made with beef we call it 'cottage pie', well I do at least. You obviously haven't tried a slow cooked shoulder of Welsh lamb m'dear ;-)

      Delete
  8. Flippin Nora that looks good John, if I'd been there I would have had the same look of expectation on my face that Bear is wearing :) My hubby stir fries sprouts with bits of bacon and chucks in chestnuts if it's Christmas, very scrummy.
    Twiggy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lol Twiggy, I'm sure that I could have spared you some if you had 'THAT' look upon your face ;-) Sprouts and bacon bits? I knew this post was a good idea, another thing to try for my sprout fetish!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks delicious John!
    You could also try sprinkling sesame seeds on top of the cheese - give it a quick browning under the grill - delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It looks very nice and just the type of dinner that's needed on cold days like today - I usually have a couple dogs watching what I'm cooking just like your Bear is xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely is winter food Trudie, quite funny having an audience when cooking ain't it?

      Delete
  12. It looks very tasty, Its amazing how much meat you can get off the bone, I love your dog, a real cutie.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi John, I'm glad I'm not the only sprout lover! I don't eat meat but that pie looks good, I just need to imagine it with quorn mince instead....yep, I can...yum. Thanks for the idea, Angie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure Angie, glad you enjoyed the post.

      Delete
  14. Shepherds pies really is one of my favourite meals, your looked delicious x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ahem, weren't you suppose to be away from taters? tsk tsk tsk :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops....I am cutting down Cheryl...honestly I am :-)

      Delete
  16. I say: "Yes chef." Very impressed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh you should see my special stuffed chicken breast dish Dave..... :-)

      Delete

Feel free to comment but no blaspheming now...