The extra bits...(Under construction).

Sunday, 18 January 2015

Of sprouts and beeswax.....

      Tis been a bit of a nothing weekend for moi I must report. I'm still as weak as the proverbial kitten with a hike upstairs almost requiring a base camp and perhaps secondary camp on the tenth step escarpment before the final assault upon the remaining steps. Ok perhaps a tad exaggeration there but I'm still suffering the effects of  the lurgy and the Doctor has basically forbid me to go back to the grind for at least another week. 

     Mind you, moaning apart, I am starting to feel a tad better mentally and am actually beginning to do a couple of low key jobs around and about. Managed to get the terrible twosome out yesterday evening, we were only out for fifteen minutes or so but it felt good getting cold fresh air into my lungs with Bramble n Nelly actually tired after such a short spurt and they were happy to curl up in front of the fire for the rest of the evening....


Bit of a grainy pic...sorry
     
     We were greeted by a layer of snow this morning, not too much but apparently there's more to come. Thing with snow is the I hate it when there is only a few inches because you have to carry on as normal which means driving in it with all the clueless idiots who have absolutely no bloody idea what they are doing, which makes car journeys long, arduous and fraught with many a danger! No for me if it's going to snow give me feet not inches so that I can snuggle up in front of the fire and forget about the world outside for awhile. 

     Anyway to get back on track (not that any of my posts follow a path anyway), after checking that the bird feeders were topped up I basically did bugger all until this afternoon. But then, feeling the need to be productive, I decided that the dining table was long overdue a polish so out came the beeswax and I found myself in the thoroughly enjoyable actions of bringing life back to the oak table. The soothing and simple actions of this task brought back to mind a post upon a blog that I've just started following. The blog is called 'The Forty Five' and can be found here and from what I've read so far is most enjoyable, the post that came to mind was a simple one related to simple tasks and the peace they can bring but how even such tasks can become chores when the outside world presses in, the post can be found here

     Whilst polishing said table my mind was able to wander, not that it stays still for long, and I remembered an old friend that required some tender attention too....



      Some of my earlier follows may remember my staff from sometime ago but truth is due to the lack of walking I've somewhat neglected it of late and whilst I had the beeswax polish out I decided to remedy the situation. The heavy brass foot was cleaned off and then treated to a couple of polishes using Brasso (I still think old stuff is the best stuff), then I passed a damp cloth over the apple wood staff to clean it from detritus but also to raise the grain slightly allowing the beeswax to be drawn into the wood. This was applied and polished off using a clean,dry and soft cloth three times. It may not look too different on the pictures but it has come back to life again and I'm looking forward to more walking with my trusty friend....




         Oh and I apologise for the shameless product placement but it's damn good stuff. Feeling a tad knackered after these exertions I brewed up and took some time to reflect on things in general, it's not a bad tip that I've picked up on my journey of living with depression. Sometimes just kicking back and turning things over objectively when your mood is light helps put the darker times into perspective a bit, well it works for me.

      Well I guess that's about it from me this evening, I have a small roast chicken dinner on the go whilst I compose this post and I'm hoping that I'll be able to repeat my chicken soup of a few days ago. In fact after my last recipe post I might be tempted to put it up another recipe post, chicken stock and all! That should please Rachel and whilst I'm thinking of pleasing folk, doesn't happen often, Cheryl..tonights roast chicken dinner has the bare minimum of potatoes with a vast increase in veg, well sprouts at least.

 Well I've bored you enough, until the next time take care...

John

29 comments:

  1. That was a lovely, homely post John, I enjoyed reading it. The girls look very content curled up together by the fire. They've bonded so well, it's lovely to see. Keep safe if the snow comes in droves (we're hoping for some here, snow is magical stuff). CT :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why thank you CT. The girls have bonded well indeed, where there is one there is always the other and I'm pleased with the way Nelly has adjusted to life here.

      Delete
  2. I put rubber cane tips on my walking sticks, as it makes them quieter even than bare wood. I must admit, though, the brass looks classy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not only does it look classy Mr. Smythe but I made it this way for a purpose. When I first made my staff I walked for miles and upon occasion came across the unsavoury side of human nature. Now knife laws here are strict and even if I was to use one in defence I'd still be on a sticky wicket, but carrying a walking staff, how inocuos is that, but it gave me reach and the brass end? well it's a solid piece and carries a bit of clout. But also it gives the staff a lovely swinging action and I've yet to come across one that suits me better so I have to admit to being a tad proud of my efforts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your staff looks super. I remember Brasso from a long time ago, but then again I'm from a long time ago too. Now that the wife and I are on a summer camping schedule (six times each summer) I plan to get a walking staff for each of us. Your comment to Georges about the metal tip made huge sense to me. I believe I'll go that way. Maybe even a tip that's a bit pointed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used to polish the brass jam pots, kettles etc with my mother many years ago Mark and the smell brings back good memories, I'm also after some 'Zebo' (think that's what it was called) to blacken our Victorian fire grate and surround. I thought about a pointed end but the flat end works well as it's main purpose, a walking staff, and with sufficient weight not to require being pointed it's also easier to look all innocent 'officer' ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point. No pun intended. On our wood stove, we use 2000 degree black paint to "freshen" it up. Most places that supply fireplace parts should have it.

      Delete
    2. Cheers Mark, I'll look into that :)

      Delete
  6. TB's blog is always on my read list every time he posts.

    I used to agree with you completely on the snow thing but now that I have the flock of sheep to take care of each day I can kinda see it from the other direction. Last time we had a huge snow storm though I had people who lived down the road abandoning their cars in my driveway.

    The cane looks good too!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see both sides of the coin with snow especially here in N. Wales where at times stock is lost to heavy snowfalls... I guess like most people, my opinions are formed by events that affect me directly and not by events that don't.
      I guess that people not being prepared or equipped for snow leads to cars being abandoned in snow which in turn leads to further problems.
      TB's blog is certainly most excellent PP, thanks for dropping by my man.

      Delete
  7. I think we all get satisfaction from cleaning something REALLY WELL. In my case it's usually something quite small, like a silver mustard pot or a brass ornament. What I don't enjoy is having to clean the whole bloody house (so I don't).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whole house cleaning Cro? A definite NO!

      Delete
  8. Your mum's house sounds like ours John. We always have brass and copper that needs cleaning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's still got loads of brass pieces Dave....All we have is an old jam pan that I use to old coal next to the fire, love cleaning it.

      Delete
  9. The smell of Brasso brings back memories of helping my Granny clean her many brass ornaments when I was little. Lovely memories, she was in domestic service before she married so was exceptionally efficient on the domestic front. I often wonder what she'd think of my lack of domestic skills :)
    Twiggy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We all have different skills Twiggy, tis funny how sometimes the smell of something can take you years back in time.

      Delete
  10. Reading this made me miss my dog. Man's greatest friend and I would give anything to have him curled up next to me at the fire.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've lost a couple of canine friends throughout the years Atlas but it comes with letting them into your life. It doesn't become any easier when their time has come but I'd find it so hard not to have a dog alongside of me.

      Delete
  11. I used Brasso long ago to clean my trumpet. Used it about 20 years later to clean my trumpet again for my daughter. Works just the same.

    I have never tried beeswax furniture polish. You make sound so good I may be forced to try some.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for dropping by TB, I guess I just like old fashioned stuff, ways and values. Do try the beeswax polish, it gives wood a nice lustre and also has one of those old fashioned smells to it :)

      Delete
  12. It's a long, long time since I last smelt a wiff of brasso in the air! as my granny used to use it all the time on her brass ornaments. Totally agree with you on feet rather than cms/inches of snow as it's nice to look out on though I'm not complaining as shoveling loads of snow isn't a favourite task of mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the comments Rosie, talking of snow we're on a weather warning for tonight and the first flurries have just started!

      Delete
  13. glad you're getting some strength back! loved your pups all curled up after their exhausting exercise. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you Tex, they had a tad more today the little buggers

    ReplyDelete
  15. I remember your ability with wood!

    Btw please change your font...its incredibly difficult to read xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh er John :) Seriously John if you require any help with the coops you have but to ask. I'll think about changing the font if I get anymore complainants my good man ;)

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to comment but no blaspheming now...