The extra bits...(Under construction).

Saturday, 3 January 2015

Yesterday was a good day .....

     Well it's a brand spanking new year and, surprisingly, I am still alive and ready to bore you rigid with more of my scribed drivel, you have been duly warned! So onward with the monotony and yawn inducing words that reflect my sorry life here in these pages that threaten a state of comatose upon you, my poor readers. Nothing like blowing my own trumpet eh?.....

     Not only have my knees continued to conspire to keep me off the trials I have also been fighting a chest infection which has rendered me as weak as a newborn kitten and as about as much use as a one legged man in an arse kicking competition. As mentioned previously the troublesome twosome are becoming far to use to this sedentary lifestyle and have both piled on the pounds, the fat little buggers. You may be well be thinking that ' I bet the rotund little Welshman has ballooned also', but indeed this is not the case as although I've not been walking I have also had little appetite which wasn't helped by coughing fits that were so severe that they induced vomiting, so I've actually lost half a stone of lard whilst coughing my guts up, oh what joy. Making life even more unbearable, barely a drop of alcohol has passed my lips, well apart from the odd medicinal hot toddy that is. And yes the Black Dog has been there lurking and giving me the odd bite drawing my spirits even lower, not helped with the realisation that past actions have now shaped my future along paths that I'm not so sure that I want to tread. But, apart from all that, I'm just dandy thank you for asking.

     So you may ask why the hell am I even bothering to write when all I seem to do is moan and whinge but I am truly a stubborn little bugger and although my lifes path is uncertain it is certainly not ready to come to an end (just yet) and as a dear friend said 'we don't know what the future holds for us'. So if my words still entertain you, offend you, bring a smile to your lips and give others affected by depression some hope then I shall continue to bore the crap out of you with my story.

     Yesterday was a good day as I actually managed to get the hounds out walking. I was spurred on by the presents that I bought them for Christmas....handmade matching leather collars with their names incorporated in the leather. I purchased them from Helen and Mark at Beaver Bushcraft (site can be found here or via the link on the right of my posts), the collars were not an item they usually supply but they were happy to give them a try and the end result is pleasing to say the very least....



     As I said these were not a product that Mark supplied before on the site but his and Helen's help and communication has produced a lovely item which they will now provide for the very discerning  outdoor canine. First impressions are that they are well crafted and solid items that should give years of service, I'm sure that Bear and Nelly will certainly test them fully over the coming months and I shall report back with a proper and honest product review in due course.

     I was restricted in my walking to routes around the village and to only taking one dog out at a time in an effort to protect my knees. In all honestly after the second 'limpothon' around the village I was well and truly knackered to say the very least but spurred on by my sudden onset of stubbornness I then decided to wash the stinking pair of crap finding buggers which went down like a pork pie at a jewish wedding with them. Ho hum not to worry as once I'd finished my watery tussle with the pair of them I lit the fire and peace was restored although it took Bramble some considerable time to stop glancing at me with her most reproaching and withering stare!




     But at least they smell sweeter and Bear does look so cute when she's this fluffy...ahem I must be getting bloody soft as well as everything else...

     The weather today has turned from yesterdays blustery sun to foreboding dark clouds unleashing sleet laden rain upon the village, hence me tapping away upon the keyboard instead of getting 'out there'. But as much as I want to, and I do have adequate clothing for such inclement weather, I'm actually being sensible, for once, and staying warm and toasty indoors although this evening I am being dragged out by friends for a curry and a pint.....I can only hope my present delicate constitution can cope with the sudden influx of spices and Guinness! Well that's about it for today, hopefully you're still awake after trudging through this morass of inane drivel and that you may even come back for more.

Till the next time, take care....

John

29 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear you have been unwell. Many years ago I had flu followed by two chest infections so know all about coughing and vomiting. Get fully well soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers DC, it's one of them lurgy things that seems to ease then bites back with a vengeance :(

      Delete
  2. Kudos for trying to get out when you can, John! In all likelihood, the seas will be smooth one day. Pirates expect rough seas, don't they? Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do indeed Casey, though I'd like a little calm water soon......

      Delete
  3. Hope you enjoyed the Guinness & are feeling better. Well done walking the discerning outdoor canines -
    I am currently still in hibernation. May 2015 bring you lots of unexpected good things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jane.....to be honest going out last night was not the wisest thing I've done of late, the lurgy is back with venom today :(

      Delete
  4. The thing about getting older is that you recover, just not as fast. On the other hand, the look from your "kids" is similar to the one we get from the cats. We call it "Stink Eye". Comes from not getting their way. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're certainly right about the recovery time as we get older Mark, it's a bugger. "Stink eye" well that sums it up to a tee :)

      Delete
  5. That certainly is a dog who knows how to give a hard stare :) I need to start dragging myself for a daily walk, 2 weeks off the school run and I feel a right old gimmer. Back to it on Monday. Keep on keeping on.
    Twiggy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She certainly does Twiggy, getting started is the hardest but from experience I know that once you get going it becomes fun, enjoyable and you do begin to feel so much better, so get off your arse and start walking M'dear ;)

      Delete
  6. When you're on a roll, you're really on a roll John. Those are bootiful gifties to your ladies and well deserved. Be careful of that flu, there's a nasty one going around. Sip tea with a bit of honey and eat all the garlic you can. I'm sure the pups won't mind :) Just remember lad, tis one step at a time and be thankful for what you have. Happy New Year John, may it be your best ever!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah the garlic tis not a problem for moi Cheryl, though it may decrease my chances romantically! Fingers crossed for the coming year that it'll be a truly good one :)

      Delete
  7. Guess what our two received for Christmas? Nice collars, but without the fancy punched names. They have fancy studs instead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh fancy studs eh Cro? a little to daring for my two delicate ahem little buggers me thinks!

      Delete
  8. For crying out our man! Get a grip - stop with all the self depreciation ing and the obvious fishing for compliments!! Next time leave them out!! We like your blog. We like your ramblings!! Look at that lovely fire you can warm your pudgy little toes by!!! The collars are darling and so are you! Sorry if you caught the flu from reading my blog. Three weeks and I'm only just back to my normal self! Get well soon and I hope your curry was amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ow Rachel! but I do see your point my dear, so thank you for your blunt honesty, it is refreshing. Yes I do believe that the lurgy was indeed spread from your blog, simply no other explanation for it. The curry was good but I shouldn't have gone out as the lurgy is back stronger today....and no I'm not hung over ya bugger. Oh and "pudgy little toes"? you been peaking Rachel?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know I'm only jostling! Dealing with the Black Dog is the stinky pits.

      Delete
    2. Jostling? What a great word Rach. Yes I know that your heart is always in the right place Rach, but even in jest your words ring true....you are a good friend me dear x

      Delete
  10. Received this comment on FB from Mr. Hordon......

    Mark Hordon They won't break .... ever!!! So I you might as well give the good review now John Frederick Wooldridge!!!! lol. I'll replace them FOC if the workmanship ever (EVER) fails - guaranteed for life, my life that is, so keep wishing me a long life!!!

    It's refreshing for someone to provide such a great service, but he's still going to have to wait for the review ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think that lurgy has been doing the rounds, although mercifully I managed to run it off. Look at those clean and fluffy girls! They look soooo sweet together. If you get a skateboard they could pull you along, then you'd be getting out and about and saving your knees- problemo solvedo! x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Skateboarding with them two.......mmmmm, I think perhaps not :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, you're probably right. Your knees would be fine but you might be split in half :o) x

      Delete
    2. Oh CT now my eyes are watering at the very thought....

      Delete
  13. I'm glad your back even if you are whinging ;) Having been AWOL myself for some time I came back on having a good old whinge myself. Half a stone, maybe you should send the bug my way ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you Julee, no I won't be sending you the lurgy, I likes you too much for that ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. sweet pups! stylish collars you had made for them! sorry you've been ill. hopefully more walks and trails for you in the future. :)

    as for your question, the grackles are actually a separate family from the corvids/crows. they are icterid - not something i'd have known without looking it up. includes north american blackbirds, orioles, meadowlarks, cowbirds, grackles, etc. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Welcome TexWisgirl and yes the pups are kinda cute aren't they. Would have sworn Corvids as never heard of Icterid (sounds prehistoric) so thank you for the lesson m'dear. Hope you enjoy my base rambleings :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Well, you KNOW I sympathize. I went to my daughter's basketball game last night and to my despair, saw that the high school that they were playing at had at least 20 steps up to the front door. I sighed, took hold of my cane and went up. And then, after the game, down them (which is actually harder for me)...so I get bad knees. And dogs do need to be walked, yes? We are blessed with a large back yard, but poor old Socks gets bored, so he gets walked too. Sometimes, at night, when I sink into my warm bed, I am almost crying with fatigue. But, hey...we hang in there, Black dogs and all, yes? And I LOVE the way you write,your little takes on words. Delightful.

    ReplyDelete
  18. It's true Maria that going downhill is a damn site harder upon my knees too, the aches I get in the evening and the various 'getting comfy' positions that I find myself in..... well the Karma sutra does hold a candle to me ;-). Coming from you your compliment upon my words means an awful lot my dear, thank you so very much and helps one to 'hang in there' black dog and all ;-) x

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to comment but no blaspheming now...