The extra bits...(Under construction).

Wednesday, 18 February 2015

Bertha and Mr. Jones.....

     I'm not a happy bunny at all today, in fact I am more akin to being a miserable toad if the truth be told. What on earth has happened? I hear you cry...Has the Dog returned?, Have the terrible twosome done something so heinous that they have been sold to the glue factory?, Have the Welsh rugby team admitted to being lesser than the English team?, Has John's subscription to cider makers fortnightly been revoked for over indulgence in the golden apple juice?, The answer to these questions is a resounding no! In fact Besides not being a happy bunny and the fact that the grind is becoming....well more grinding I am in damn fine fettle, the Dog is still keeping her distance, the terrible twosome are no more terrible than usual, Hell would freeze over before Welsh rugby would admit such nonsense and one can never over indulge in the golden apple juice, ermmm or so I am told.

     Nope the reason why I am not a very happy bunny is that 'Flat cap man's' car is poorly bad, and I'm just hoping that it's nothing too painful to my wallet because I certainly cannot afford to replace her. I also am quite fond of 'Bertha', she's a bit of a wolf in sheeps clothing (maybe it was the sheepskin that appealed to me being Welsh). On the outside she's unpretentious and does not warrant a first glance let alone a second. But step behind the wheel and give her a tickle and hell fire she can shake her ass. Or she could, because now she has flashy yellow warning lights coming up all over the dashboard and the management system won't let her rev over 3,000 rpm. Which would be ok because she'd do 85mph at that, but not any more as her torquey bottom end has all but gone and she won't pull the skin off a rice puddin'. So Friday we have an appointment at a local garage, one I am not familiar with, the have her management system interrogated hoping to find the source of her ailment and so what can be done. Damn thing is that we're heading to the Lakes on Sunday but it appears without Bertha.


Bertha in happier days
     On the plus side though, the last couple of weeks has seen me reunited with my very good friend Mr. Jones of Jones Restoration Services. I'll be telling you more about him in posts to come but suffice to say that he is one of the friends in life whom you'd be able to count on one hand. Mind you, I only went down for a brew and ending up helping the Chunkster service his Honda 450cc ex works motocross beast of a machine. 



     It is funny how very good friends can just fall back into a routine after absence and difficult times isn't it? Just hope the bike doesn't fall apart at this weekends race meeting, gulp!

     Well that'll do for this evening, till the next time take care of yourselves,

John

22 comments:

  1. Ahh the infernal combusted engine.... the source of much misery. In all likelihood it is some thingamabob sensor doohickey that's gone TU and is making the ECU go in to limp home mode. I am guessing something in the fuel metering, possibly something as simple as a temperature sensor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tis funny how you don't give the car a second thought until the damn thing fails and then you realise how dependent upon it you have become. As to the fault I'm keeping an open mind and expecting the worse...

      Delete
  2. I hope it's something ssimple with your car, John. Love the stone walls in the photo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Expect the worse Mr. Smythe than anything else is a bonus. The walls were near Ambleside in the lake district, heading there again Sunday evening.

      Delete
  3. The only car I recommend to people is the wonderful Renault Express. It goes anywhere, consumes very little juice, and can always be repaired with a length of wire and a damp rag. It's just amazing that I don't possess one myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never owned a French car Cro, always fancied an older Citroen though.

      Delete
  4. Hope its not too bad for you, its a nuisance when these extra expenses occur.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We just had something like this. and the car wouldnt speed up to over take. it just wouldnt go. we thought it was the diesel partical filter, but it turned out to be turbo hose. the computer kicked in and just told the engine, no, you arent allowed to go. I hope it is just a hose that you need changing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sol, Turns out it was a couple of sensors but I took the opportunity whilst Bertha was in dry dock to have a full service on her.

      Delete
  6. Sending healing thoughts from me and my gammy lumps to your car!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Must have worked Rach, she's all better now :-)

      Delete
  7. Poor Bertha. Winter has got to her maybe? I heard from an old friend out of the blue this week too- there must be something in the air :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always nice when old, real friends are back in touch CT

      Delete
  8. My father - a very wise man - told me long ago two things about automobiles: 1) They are money pits; 2) If you purchase a new car, it simply means that you will not be paying for things you will pay for on a used car right away - eventually, you will be paying for them. I have found his sage advice to be completely accurate.

    Good luck with the car - there is few things more helpless feeling than sending a car into the garage almost instinctively knowing that it will not be inexpensive - because it almost never is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wise words indeed TB - was not as bad as expected though still put a hole in the finances. Then again my father has a saying which is apt...."Blessed is the man who expects nothing, for he will not be disappointed"

      Delete
  9. John the brew you speak of is coffee, true.
    The bike is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Brt, the bike is one noisey beasty

      Delete
  10. The one thing in life that makes me instantly ballistic, car problems. I do have to say that the Audi is a damn fine auto and hopefully a minor adjustment will fix the problem. As for the dirt bike, stay faaaaaaaaar away. I rode one once. Once was all it took. I think I still have the scars.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohh you won't get me on such a beast Mark have no fear of that! To be honest I've owned the Audi for getting on on three years (it's a 2007 model so not new when I bought her) and this is the first issue she's had.

      Delete
  11. John! You won't believe this but my bloody car packed in on Sat!!!!! What is going on? It's only 1.5 years old too. Arghhhh! M towing me to the garage today was an experience. We both needed a massage. a stiff gin and lie down afterwards... :o) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only one word for that CT - Bugger - I hope all is well with her (all cars are female!)

      Delete

Feel free to comment but no blaspheming now...