The extra bits...(Under construction).

Sunday, 8 February 2015

Chicken soup .....

     Having consoled myself after the woeful result of the rugby yesterday evening, which by the way I grudgingly admit England deserved the victory, with a nice lazy day involving getting my hair and greying beard trimmed, a short shopping spree and a fried chicken breast with salad (no chips) at the wonderful Les's fish bar, I have decided to prove to you that I'm not sulking, too much, and will post my long awaited cold cure all chicken soup recipe, cue the sound of a loud and thunderous drum roll maestro if you please....

     The recipe is in two parts, firstly my take on stock and then the simple soup recipe.

Chicken Stock.


     I have to admit that it is only very recently that I have decided to make my own stock and I was quite pleasantly surprised at how simple it was. For the stock I used the following....




     A small chicken carcass from a roast we'd had the day before. And yes I had the usual audience in attendance! 



     This I seperated into three, the meat for the soup, the fatty bits including the skin for the terrible twosome and this left the remains of the carcass for the stock....



      Then I roughly chopped into my pan whatever bits of spare veg I had which this time comprised of an onion from the roast, another couple of raw onions, a couple of leaks, a dodgy looking carrot, some tired garlic cloves, three sticks of celery, parsley and some dill. I added the chicken bones, one bay leaf, ground black pepper and a little sea salt then filled the pan just shy from its top with water. I brought this to the boil, covered and left gently simmering for about four hours. After this I strained the fluid off which gave me just under three pints and left to cool.




      So hey presto chicken stock, this can be kept in the fridge for a couple of days or frozen for later use if required.


Chicken Soup.


     Ah so now we come the main event, well the soup bit anyway.....



    
      So in the picture above we have the basic (very basic) ingredients that I employed for this soup and these were as follows....
  • Two pints of homemade chicken stock (ta daa)
  • Two large leeks
  • Four sticks of celery
  • Two large onions
  • Four cloves of garlic
  • The cooked chicken meat (white and dark)
  • A good knob of proper butter
  • A dribble of olive oil
  • A couple of sturdy carrots
  • One sweet pepper (optional)
  • Pepper, sea salt and whatever mixed herbs you have in
  • Oh and some fresh parsley
      I chopped the onions, leeks, garlic, pepper and celery as fine as I could but cheated on the carrots as a cheese grater did a 'grate' job of producing really fine slivers of carrot. The idea being that this be soup for when you're in need of a boost and should be easy on the jaw, especially when you are feeling under the weather with man flu! 


     I then set the pan upon a very low flame and added the dribble of olive oil and the goodly knob of butter. The oil helps prevent the butter burning whilst it's melting down. Once melted I added the various chopped items and gently cooked them, stirring often until they'd softened nicely. 


     
     To this I added the two pints of chicken stock and brought slowly to a gentle simmer, covered and left for fifteen to twenty minutes, giving it an occasional stir.


      Whilst this was simmering away (and smelling damn good I might add) I took the chicken meat and finely shredded it using two forks....


     This was then stirred into the pan with some mixed herbs and left simmering for a further fifteen or so minutes. And that's it, all t'was left to do was to serve up into goodly size bowls and add ground pepper and sea salt to taste.....


     The one on the left is mine hence the large amount of pepper and the fresh parsley...but do be careful not to leave this soup unattended as the ground vultures are never far away..


     Well I hope that this recipe was clearer than mud for you and that I explained it in a fashion that could be understood. As I've said before I'm really only just learning this cooking m'larky and writing recipes for others is kind of worrying, so I do hope that you enjoy my efforts.

     Right, that's about it for this post tis time to brew up and kick back for awhile....I'm off to find a tree to follow tomorrow! Until the next time then, take damn good care...

John

35 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I think the term that you are looking for Mr. Smythe is "greedy little buggers" ;-)

      Delete
  2. Dang, that looks delicious, good job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly hit the spot Mr. Silvius.

      Delete
  3. My chicken stock (which is permanently on the go) is made from chicken bones plus a stock cube; no vegs. Uses are various, but for soup I just add vermicelli (very French).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was tempted with a stock cube Cro, I do use them in stews though. Actually used the remaining pint of chicken stock in a beef and kidney stew the next day and it were bloody delicious!

      Delete
  4. Looks good John. Soup can fill those spots that a beef steak can't reach.
    Did the two little ones approve?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Certainly does Brk, well the terrible twosome did have the skin and fatty bits for being so patient so I think they were happy.

      Delete
  5. Looks mighty fine! I challenge you to my oxtail recipe!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rach, I shall take you on that challenge young lady....once I find your recipe that is!

      Delete
    2. It's on the blog!!! Last post but three I think!!

      Delete
    3. I shall look it up m'dear....once I finish this weeks stint at the grind that is :-(

      Delete
  6. Knew you could do it, looks good and tastes even better I suspect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers DC, actually surprised myself with this one and yep it were bloody lovely ;-)

      Delete
  7. Great recipe and the end results looked delicious. I was a bit worried for a second that the stock ingredients included two dogs! :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh they have been close to being a curry a couple of times CT, but they are just to damned cute to eat.......at the moment that is!!!

      Delete
  8. John your soup sounds good, I have to confess never made chicken soup before, it's suprising what meat you can get off a chicken, I have been making homemade soup once a week now, I make a big batch in the slow cooker and then freeze half, I have made chicken stock before, but next time I will try it in the slow cooker save on the electric a bit, do you use a slow cooker ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think there is a slow cooker hidden away in boxes still unopened after moving in here....I shall go on a foraging spree in the spare room and find it m'dear. The chicken was one of three bought for £10 from M&S, though small each one has provided two goodly sized meals for two.

      Delete
  9. Looks great, those little hopeful faces add a lot of charm to your recipes. I think Nigel Slater should start presenting with a hopeful looking pooch in the background :)
    Twiggy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure H&S would approve of slobbering hounds bounding around a kitchen ;-) But the terrible twosome do add a certain charm don't they Twiggy

      Delete
  10. Perhaps you could get the hounds to write a soup book, John? Now that would be different. It looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmm the terrible twosome cookery book Dave?.....definitely different my man!

      Delete
  11. Sure looks yummy. Chicken soup is the best thing for illness, that's why the call it Jewish Penicillin. Cook on brother.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Mark, my mother swears by it for cold n flu aliments (me father just swears).

      Delete
  12. So...um...who was the other bowl for? ME!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhh now Maria if I didn't know how much you loved Bing..........;-)

      Delete
  13. That looks good soup. Killed a cockerel today for dinner and now torn between a curry or soup with the leftovers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh I'd have gone with the curry truth be told Kev.

      Delete
  14. Mmm! Your soup looks delicious John! I like making homemade chicken noodle soup with egg noodles and lots of garlic and black pepper. On a cold day, it hits the spot, especially served with a pimento cheese sandwich grilled in butter on the side. Now I'm hungry! LOL!

    Glad the girls got their share, too. My dogs love cooked chicken skin and fatty bits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Damn Jennifer you've just given me another recipe to try, oh things were so much simpler when it was just bacon butties!

      Delete
  15. Looks delicious John. Well done. If it is any consolation, I am sort of loose about when I cook as well - I tend to measure by eyeball and the number of shakes I put into something rather than exact measurements. Fortunately, cooking (at least for one's family and friends) is a fairly forgiving art.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Well to be honest TB I always think of a recipe as loose guide lines, very loose ones at that ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love your doggie audience. As I'm a Veggie the kids love meat day so we have three boys, four dogs and five cats in our audience...........I need a bigger kitchen!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. certainly sounds like you do Julee......

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to comment but no blaspheming now...