The extra bits...(Under construction).

Wednesday, 4 February 2015

Londonium....

     Well a weekend just spent in Londonium for a change, not a touristy, see the sights visit but one of sorting a few things and seeing folk not seen since before Christmastime.

     I have to admit to not usually enjoying visits to England's capital city, it truly is a different world and not one for simpletons like my good self. Now, honestly, I'm not having a go at people from the great metropolis of Londonium in general as I'm sure there must be a couple of normal folk still living in the confines of this man made jungle. Yet the difference of Londonium to back home is so very tangible with rudeness, general poor manners and no regard for others outside what can only be described as a personal bubble rife. I mean hell fire, where on earth did these city folk learn the rudimentary basics of driving an automobile and the, not so difficult to follow, rules of the road? First time driving upon my own on Saturday and I felt like I was on a different planet! Not helped by the fact that I was driving a Vauxhall that wouldn't pull the skin off a rice puddin', the short journey from the O2 to Greenwich park was more akin to the whacky races rather than a supposedly slow drive thru urbanized city streets. I'm still wondering if red means go and the 30mph speed limit is the minimum limit in Londonium! Yes I know that I live in the quiet backwater known as North Wales but shouldn't rules be rules where'er I'm driving? Oh and don't get me started on shopping and the throngs of arse holes malcontents who bussle along with nary a glance, smile nor acknowledgment of other people....really is a different world.

     But there are oasis's of relief to be found in the busy urban madhouse that is Londonium, hence the journey to Greenwich park with the troublesome twosome. It never fails to surprise me that right smack bang in the middle of this vast city are areas of such tranquility, well they would be if there was no other people there...yes I know I'm a grumpy old fart when it comes to other mere mortals! 

     Walking in Greenwich park is such a distraction for one minute I'm gazing at seemingly ancient trees that seem contorted with the pain of losing brethren to the concrete jungle.....












      ......But you are never far from the urban sprawl with it's mixture of old and modern....






      So yes I managed to get 'out there' even in Londonium. Oh and the terrible twosome?......






     Well I think that I can safely say that they enjoyed themselves, but the best bit for me.....




     ....dumping the two buggers in the car and grabbing a hot tea in the Cafe and letting my aching knees take a break!! It wasn't the end of the walking though as later I took them for a lead restricted wander along the Thames to the barrier under stormy skies.....



     Put me in mind of a certain King Canute, he also knew that men were not gods and that nature would have her way in time.


      Well that's about it for now, methinks the next post maybe be about a certain sport played by men with odd shaped balls, till the next time take care.

John

24 comments:

  1. Hi John we took our son to a Dr Who Anniversary in London, it was the first time for son and I, I know exactly what you mean about the people with no manners, we live in a small village/town and even if we meet someone out and about, greetings are exchanged.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess it's partly due to the pressures of living in such a multi cultural space. I just couldn't do it myself!

      Delete
  2. Can't imagine you and the girls in London, John :o) I was born there, in Westminster no less, and lived there five long years. Suffice to say I am a country girl through and through and while I appreciate a day in our Capital I know where home is :o) Great pictures :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Meant to add, that expression of yours about the trees seeming contorted with the pain of losing brethren to the concrete jungle is very effecting. You are most certainly a man of the trees :o) (had a hard day yest, L was v poorly and my head is a bit do-wally today after 24 hours nursing duty as a result!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope that L is feeling better CT. There indeed is something about trees that draws me, it's the same with the sea..... can't describe the feelings they evoke in me though. As for your earlier comment, I've been described as standing out like a Netanderal against the backdrop of so called 'civilised Londoners. Guess I'm better off in the village after all :)

      Delete
  4. A few spooky looking trees there.
    And a couple tired looking dogs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were not tired for long though Brk... Getting fitter now I'm walking them more.

      Delete
  5. I think London is a place for young people who like the fast pace and can cope with rudeness. My Grandson lives up there and loves it but its not for me, although Brighton where I live is almost as bad as London now, I tend not to go to the town area if I can help it.
    Looks like the troublesome two had a good time though.
    You might like the link I have just posted on my blog John, its watching an owl on a live webcam.
    Briony
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're right about it being for younger folk Briony, I'm so much happier with a slower pace. I shall check out the link when I get five minutes m'dear.

      Delete
  6. It's a shame about the tree's but everything has it's life. I hear you about city people. Everyone is too busy, rushing here and there to pause for a moment. I tend not to go to the "big city" unless there's a need. 80 kph speed limit translates to 110 in the city. Don't get me started on the honkin' huge trucks and SUVs most drive there. You know something, Bear always seems to have that "who me?" look in photos. hehehehehe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Think the trees would be happier without us humans Cheryl. Yeah butter wouldn't mealt in Bear's mouth would it :)

      Delete
  7. Wow, Londonium sound a lot like Sacramento. I was down there just the other day and told my wife that if I had to go down there again, I'd probably have to kill somebody. I can not believe people are that stupid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh believe it Mark, the temptation to grip them by the neck is sooooo strong, good job I'm a sweet guy ;)

      Delete
  8. I loved my time living in London, but hate visiting. When you live there you have time for everything, and home is never too far away. When you visit, you rush around trying to fit-in far too much. Even as a true country boy, I'd still love a little mews house in South Ken' (if I could afford it).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know Cro....just seems to me that everyone there is totally oblivious to anyone else. Perhaps it may be a snap decision but I've been down a few time now over the last few months and I think the word 'zombies' would cover most folk there....though they do move faster than the living dead.

      Delete
  9. Cities are great for infrastructure, shopping a rock concerts, John. But they are not friendly places are they? I like to visit them for a few hours and then get back to rural living.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Friendly is certainly not a word I would use to describe cities Dave, I guess with planning and some thought they could be much better places but money and material thoughts seem to rule the roost don't they?

      Delete
  10. My feeling about most big cities: possibly okay to visit, do not want to live there. Right we live in one of the fastest growing cities in the US (I had no intent of being here, but circumstances were altered) and it is not quite as bad as some cities I have been in, I cannot wait to flee.

    Forgive my geogprahic ignorance John: what is the picture above that of King Canute and what is the reference?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi TB, I think the majority of people here would agree with your sentiment.

      The picture is that of the Thames barrier, a defence built to prevent the river Thames flooding the city. Canute was a Nordic king of England and contrary to the story that he tried to push the incoming tide back he in fact was proving to his court that a king was just a mortal man who had not god like powers.

      Delete
    2. Is the Barrier proving equally as ineffective as Canute?

      Delete
    3. I believe it is effective but nature will have her way, it's just that she works on a different time scale to us :)

      Delete
  11. Hi John, we had a visit to London last year to go on a speed boat ride on the Thames, then out for dinner. Although fantastic to see the many amazeballs places, St Pauls, Waterloo Bridge, the watery sun on the Thames, the magnificent Houses of Parliament, I wouldn't swap my rural life for anything. It was Twiglet's first visit, he said It's very interesting and I love the tube, I wouldn't live here, no one talks or smiles. I must say I agree
    Twiggy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you've summed it up there Twiggy...its ok for a visit but not a place to live.

      Delete
  12. Hi John - I used to live in London - not too far from Greenwhich Park - great to see your pics - but not been back for many years & have no desire to.
    I moved from there to Brighton which was grand back then but that too became "londonised" sadly.
    So now I'm in rural Ireland and have become a country mouse - even a day trip to Dublin is almost like visiting another planet.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to comment but no blaspheming now...