The extra bits...(Under construction).

Monday, 16 February 2015

The adventure starts here....

     Good evening gentlefolk and I trust that your weekend has been an enjoyable one and not fraught with too much danger? I for one have had a most.....ooohh what is the word?.... ah yes productive, that's the bugger....a most productive, and to be fair enjoyable weekend considering that the morn of Saturday was generally ruined by having to work a twelve hour Friday night shift at the not so fun factory. I tell you something these 12 hour shifts are not becoming any easier the older that I get, far from it. Although, having said this, hopefully with my latest venture fitness levels and hence recovery time will be improved somewhat. 

     Latest venture? I hear you muse, well if you had been paying attention at the back there, you would know that I have recently had one of those 'light bulb' moments and come up with the idea of 'Blog Walking' and this weekend I have started the ball rolling with a new blog called funnily enough 'Blog Walking' ta daa. True tis very much a work in progress but at least the first step has been taken and hopefully the adventures will be in full swing shortly. The link to 'Blog Walking' is to be found HERE and I really hope that some of you will come along for the ride.

      Now some of you may remember that the pictures from my first wildlife garden post here couldn't help to show my Wendy house shed come workshop. But there is a small admission I have to make here as from the outside all looks shipshape and ready for action.....



     ..... I'm embarrassed to say that the inside there lurks a far different story with just getting inside the damn thing being a major achievement....



     So this morning was spent tidying and organising the space within. I now have a usable work surface and once I appropriate some suitable M12 bolts it will also have a rather spiffing four inch engineers vice attached to it. Still a mountain of sorting to be done but at least I can start on the ever growing list of chores to be done.

     I also managed to take the terrible twosome out for a walk along the country lanes of the village with my primary objective to find a tree to follow as suggested on Lucy's wonderful Loose and Leafy blog to be found here. Unfortunately the twosome lived up to their terrible suffix and whilst we were negotiating a rather muddy and slippy downhill stretch of path they decided to both pull together whereas me weakened knees (have I mention them before?) promptly gave way and I ended up sprawled on my arse with the little buggers jumping all over me thinking 'what fun', little bastards! Not only that but later Nelly gave me a heart attack by disappearing for a goodly ten minutes or so and I could only breath again when firstly I spied two rabbits hurtling across a field followed, I would like to say closely to spare her blushes, followed at some distance but stubbornly by a tongue lolling Beagle. But the walk was not a complete disaster and the use of Anglo Saxon had a brief respite when I came across this....

Majestic old fellow
One huge branch points me to the hills

His twisted roots delving deep and shredding a stone wall to pieces

     This old fellow is full of character and I shall enjoy finding out more about him as the year unfolds, firstly what he is! My first thoughts was Sycamore then Horse Chestnut but I shall have to brush up and let you know, all part of learning and being 'out there' though.

     Eventually safely home where I had to take some painkillers as my left knee was really in danger of me amputating it to relieve the aching! Fed the terrible twosome, got the evening meal underway and settled down with an extremely large hot cup of tea to chill and tell you of my adventures. Oh and what of the terrible twosome?....

New bed so we can sleep under the desk when Master is blogging
     .....absolutely well and truly knackered, thank the Northern Gods! Well that's about it for now so until the next time take damn good care of yourselves.

John
           

30 comments:

  1. I have just the opposite problem with my dog. He absolutely DETESTS getting his feet dirty and prances like an Arabian horse on wet muddy days. I do feel for him, though. Because of the ice this time of year, many people put out salt to combat it on their sidewalks and it gets in Socks' toes and stings him so badly. He never really complains, just whimpers and limps. I take him home and put him in our guest bedroom tub for a long hot soak of his tootsies. He does not like water, but sees that it works, so obeys, but puts his head dejectedly on my shoulder. Breaks my heart. It does. Hope your knees are better....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Maria, poor Sock's little tootsies, to be honest Nelly skirts around anything resembling mud, water etc. whilst Bear gets her feet into anything crappy. Be careful with that salt as I think it may be poisonous if ingested. Thanks for popping by m'dear.

      Delete
  2. Nice looking shed John. The inside looks like my fly tying area.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Brk, I'm wondering now if it looks like your fly tying area how the hell do you produce such wonderful flies?

      Delete
    2. Is that Nuada sitting in guardianship of your shed?

      Delete
    3. Hi Simon, Nuada silver arm? no I tend to think of him as Lugh another Celtic deity.

      Delete
  3. From the smoothness of the bark, I'd say the tree was ash, but you can download a winter twig ID sheet from the Woodland Trust here http://www.naturedetectives.org.uk/download/id_twigs.htm?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=nd_activities_february2015. If it is ash and you find any saplings growing nearby, it's quite fun to compare the energy from the different aged trees. Hold your palm a couple of inches away from the bark and see how hot it gets. Usually, the older the tree, the hotter your palm will feel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the info Sarah, it is appreciated. I'll be checking out once I get five minutes.

      Delete
  4. Nice-looking building. Can't be sure about the tree. Love the shot of the dogs. Our "Mighty Dachshund" headsn straight for every puddle she sees, perhaps because she knows that we don't want her to!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah 'Mighty Dachshund' another old world hunting breed Mr. Smythe, perhaps they're just trying to hide their scent from prey? ;-)

      Delete
  5. Does flippering around Lake Camanche on Friday cover the weekend jaunt? My shed looks just like yours, before you cleaned it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me thinks your pushing it Mark ;-) anyways I'm thinking that the inaugural Blog Walk shall be next weekend due to the grind at a last minute trip booked at the lakes.

      Delete
  6. Just found your blog and love your sense of humor! Will visit again soon to read more of your adventures. You should have included an "after" photo of your shed....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and welcome Classof65, the shed is nowhere near finished so I'll not be showing it until it at least resembles a workshop.

      Delete
  7. Is Wrexham in Wales? And, when you said you visited Londinium, do you mean that you visited London? Sorry, I'm American and we're generally stupid about geography since our teachers seemed to think all we ever needed to know about was our own country and not much about that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wrexham is indeed in Wales, North East Wales to be a tad more accurate and yes Londinium is indeed London. I think, perhaps, that America is such a vast area with so many varied geographical regions that learning about that would have been enough for me all those years ago in school....not that I paid any attention back then :(

      Delete
  8. Yay on the blog John! Looks promising. As to the shed, it is actually quite a fetching structure. Most of the sheds here in the states seem to tend towards corrugated metal, which generally ends up dark and for storage (the reason I will not have one - I do not need yet another place for stuff to pile up). Awesome branch picture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you TB, I'm always the same when I have a 'space' of my own, even the 'man cave' (study) is a bomb site at the moment.

      Delete
    2. I am jealous. My currently "area" consists of a desktop and a workbench that is more often than not inaccessible (and this comfy chair, of course, from which I do my writing).

      Delete
    3. Ah the comfy chair, without which nothing at all would be achieved here, especially the drinking of tea which of course stimulates the thought process my man.

      Delete
  9. Hope the knees are OK today after your fun and games with the girls yesterday. Don't they look sweet curled up together. Butter wouldn't melt, eh? :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No they are bloody well not ok CT :( my left one is killing me and after my amazing ahem reply service here on blogger I'm off to help a friend out working to improve his workshop. No they are sweet either they are the devil's dogs I tell ya!!!
      Actually they are rather lovely but don't you dare tell anyone.

      Delete
  10. You shed looks good from the outside : -) I love trees, so many different shapes I take a lot of photos of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does look good....from the outside :-) This particular tree just called to me, to be honest I was looking for an Oak but this one just said 'welcome John'

      Delete
  11. Ps forgot to add your tree looks like a sycamore to me. The patchwork bark is diagnostic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now I first thought that CT, all I have to do is look it up, Sarah Head on an earlier comment has provided a promising link so I'll be perusing this later on. Oh and a thesaurus to look up diagnostic ;-)

      Delete
  12. Great post John - your shed before tidying looks like a part of our garage! Love the tree you have chosen and I will check out your new walking blog :) Hope the knees have finally recovered!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you Robin, if I had a bigger shed/garage I suspect that it would have been in the same state!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the photos of the tree and your shed/workshop. I didn't do anything outside this weekend besides shovel snow, and it appears the same will be on tap this weekend coming up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Megan, been lucky here with the snow this year as apparently the village usually gets the worst of it for the area.

      Delete

Feel free to comment but no blaspheming now...