The extra bits...(Under construction).

Thursday, 5 February 2015

The English are coming.......

     

     The English are coming and at last the deep yearning within my soul is nearly over as the long awaited hour approaches, for at five minutes past the hour of eight upon the evening of the sixth day of February, the second month of the fifteenth year of the second millennium, the hour duth indeed approach. The air is already heavily laden with expectation of the furious battle between nations to come. For when Old Father Time's scythe cuts the last second from the fourth minute of the appointed hour mens nerves will be shredded, the boasting will be hushed, women will swoon at war weary and hardened gladiators lining up on the field of bloody battle and a nation's hopes and prayers will hang upon the slimmest of threads. 



       The English are coming but shall we falter? Shall we  yield? Should we fear them? With the voice of seventy thousand angels around our holy place we shall sing out no, no and thrice no, for we shall ask no quarter nor shall quarter be given. For we have the heart of the dragon and the English shall not hold fear for us. They shall come to our holy temple and they shall fall upon our hallowed turf. They shall come to play a game, when will they ever realise that this is not a sport, by the Northern gods no! for this is our dream, our religion. Is this madness? No this be far worse........     

 THIS IS RUGBY!




      Till the next time.....Cymru am byth

John

22 comments:

  1. We shall be glued here too, although not quite as madly as you I suspect! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mad m'dear? Oh not I.....well just a tad maybe ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wondered what the heck you were on about for a minute! Yep we will be watching every game too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh but who will you be cheering on?

      Delete
    2. England if they win, otherwise Wales! I think that's called a foot in both camps!

      Delete
  4. I've spent three quarters of my life living in France, I'm part Welsh, but mostly English. So, rather than support any particular nation I just 'boo' when Scotland, Ireland, and Italy, take to the field. Is that OK?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooooo I am sooooooo excited!!! COME ON MY BEAUTIFUL WELSH BOYS!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now how did I know that would be your reaction Rach? ;-)

      Delete
  6. Welsh girl, English husband, kids brought up in France - we love the Six Nations and one of us is usually cheering! Husband is already making excuses that England have a lot of injured players!! I'm practising my singing doing the housework this morning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like there's always some banter in your household m'dear ;-) many thanks for dropping by.

      Delete
  7. oooooooooohhhhhhhhh rugby. Drats, I thought it would be Extreme Croquet! Now there's a sport I get into. I can be vicious with a mallet in hand :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After the Welsh performance I may well join you Cheryl ;-)

      Delete
  8. I watched the second half last night and thought of your blog, John. Can't say I understand all the rules but it's certainly not a game for the faint hearted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Certainly not Dave, but it doth stir the passion in me

      Delete
  9. Cue "Men of Harlech"? I am in the U.S. so I do not have any particular affiliation (although honestly, I think the only team that most Americans have heard of are the New Zealand All Blacks)...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Best rendition of Men of Harlech was in the the old Stanley Baxter and Micheal Caine film Zulu....gets the blood running. Ah the Kiwis, a most excellent team and one as passionate as the Welsh TB

      Delete
    2. You're right John, although I have not seen this for years. I think it is on Netflix.

      I will have to watch a rugby match - for some reason, lots of my friends in Highland Athletics are into rugby as well.

      Delete
    3. Well the rugby world cup is happening in the later half of the year TB, no excuses not to watch a game or three ;-)

      Delete
  10. A coworker today was whining about Arsenal losing a match this morning, so at first I assumed this post would be about soccer. Rugby, I don't know much about, except that a friend of my husband, who grew up in England, used to play it. And he says it was a major factor in his needing two knee replacements when he hit middle age! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Football - a gentle game played by thugs. Rugby - a vicious game played by gentlemen ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to comment but no blaspheming now...