The extra bits...(Under construction).

Tuesday, 3 March 2015

Catch up .....

      Good evening my fellow mortals, just a quick post so that you know that I have not fallen off the edge of the world just yet (there be dragons in t' way).......

     Firstly after our return from the Lakes Bramble took ill. Couldn't put my finger on it but I think she'd either eaten something that disagreed, maybe had a blockage or had perhaps caught a chill in the cold waters up there. In any case the poor little bugger started to be as sick as a dog on our second day home after every meal and then went off her food completely. It was touch and go as to whether or not I'd be taking her to the veterinarian as her weight was dropping at an alarming rate. I started feeding her boiled chicken little and often and this she kept down, within 48 hours she was back on her normal diet (smaller portions) although there is a wistful look at me as I place her bowl down now, enough to say "what? no chicken!". It's a relief that she is back to herself though, although she is sleeping much more as she recovers her strength....

Must be tired, not even posing for a picture!

      At least Bertha is now performing admirably and today she even passed her MOT, thank the Northern Gods as money is tight at the moment and another expensive bill for her would have been very hard to cope with at the moment, so a huge sigh of relief could be heard across the village this afternoon. I think it is time that I tightened the purse strings somewhat, 'as tight as a duck's arse' is now my second mantra after 'small steps'.

     Speaking of financial matters I am once more dipping my toes into the dark and murky waters of the smuggling game. Oh alright I'm starting to sell on EBay with my first item scheduled to begin this thursday. I used to sell quite a substantial amount back in the day but have not bothered for the last few years due the Black Dog and leading a nomadic lifestyle for sometime, it is indeed extremely difficult to run a effective EBay service when your mind is adled and you're living with your dog in the car! Again I'm taking note of my philosophy of 'small steps' with this venture and starting in a very small way. There be two reasons for this, firstly I do not wish to put pressure upon my fragile recovery and secondly, starting small and getting into the swing of EBay, or any other venture, after time away insures that I will be able to provide a quality service and hopefully a satisfied customer base. As for my target market? well that has to be decided as of yet with me just selling unwanted possessions to begin with.

     The wildlife garden is slowly showing some signs of life with the first Crocus, Primulas and, yes, Snowdrops beginning to add hints of color in the new borders....


Told you I had planted some...


Love these old fashioned Primulas

     ..... and the wildlife pond has, well wildlife....

Lymnaea stagnalis
     .....now you may well wonder how the hell a Greater pond snail or two managed to migrate to my small wildlife puddle but these wee beasties were not removed from a wild pond as this would be hypocritical of me. No they came from a ornamental pond from which the owner was kind enough to let me take a couple, well three. They were introduced when the pond had half filled with rainwater and this is the first sighting I have had of one over the Winter. They are about a quarter of their full size and will hopefully breed as they mature enabling perhaps the introduction of them into others wildlife ponds. As for other additions well the only other fauna I might introduce will be a little Frog spawn but again not from a natural source. Finally regarding the wildlife garden I have secured a delivery of Willow cuttings that should appear Thursday, these will hopefully form a windbreak/hedge, some privacy and bird cover in due time at the bottom end of the garden behind the Wendy house workshop.....



     Oh have I mentioned my knees?, well after my last visit to the physio there has been considerable improvement and the strengthening exercises he gave me to to are beginning to reap rewards. I know that they cannot be cured but as I have said before at least they can be managed and walking is back on the menu, hurrah! In fact I've set myself a target of topping Snowdon before the year is out and also traversing Striding Edge in the Lake District.....

Striding Edge....
     Oh speaking of walking I have not forgotten my other blog, 'Blog Walking' and I am just sorting out the first walking day which I should be announcing before I head back to 'the grind' this Friday. Also I have a post to write for the 'tips' page on said blog concerning fox pooh, you know you'll want to read it don't you!

     Well that's about it for now, off to spend time helping Mr. Jones out at his motor bike workshop tomorrow so another busman's holiday! To be fair tis nothing like work and I fully enjoy my time spent there. So until the next time, enjoy yourselves and take care.....

John

25 comments:

  1. Hi John, so sorry to hear that bramble has been ill but relieved she is recovering .. poor thing hope she is better real soon. ..
    Good to hear you are in less pain with your knees, keep up with the exercises!
    I am hoping to go walking on the weekend, hope the weather is nice so I can get some nice photos. .might head up to the waterfalls.
    Take care * *
    Bron

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Bron, be nice to see your photos

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. They are Mr. Smythe though in the past I've been guilty of setting too many or setting them to high and not pursuing them to the end.

      Delete
  3. We have frogs in our pond and little as they are, make a lot of racket.Music to our ears.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love hearing frog chorus on a warm and damp summers evening Mark

      Delete
  4. Thank you so much for the spring color.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure Brk, hopefully more garden color to come over the year

      Delete
  5. Sorry to hear about Bramble! Glad she is doing better. Good luck with E-bay - I have tried from time to time to sell on that and Craig's list but always get so aggravated that I give up. Good to hear about your knees and Snowdon looks lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah tis a picture of striding edge TB, Snowdon is better still ;-)
      I think selling on these sites is about time discipline and getting into a 'selling rhythm' hence the small start.

      Delete
  6. Our Monty's woes began with vomiting (and we too prescribed chicken). It might be worth her having a blood test to see that she doesn't have kidney trouble... These things are best caught early.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the advice Cro, though she is back to her exuberant self now.

      Delete
  7. Oh I'm glad to hear the pooch is recovering. I was a bit worried about carrying on reading that first paragraph :-/
    Have you tried Gumtree too for the seeking of your unwanted crap? I like it because there's no fees!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crap!!!! young lady I'll have you know that I shall be selling the finest and most exotic of merchandise ;-)
      I'll take a look at Gumtree , thanks for the tip Rach

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Funny how the mind works Rach, I read it as 'selling' until reading your next comment.

      Delete
  9. Glad to her you are feeling a lot better these day but remember, ONE STEP T A TIME.Good to see spring is coming in your garden.Love the shots of the dogs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Margaret, tis 'bout time Spring started

      Delete
  10. Looks like your pond is ready for wild, roaming wildlife., well done. Our frog population has really dwindled in the past few years due to whatever is currently affecting frog spawn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully this small garden of mine will help wildlife, I've heard rumour about the decline of frogs but didn't realise it was something affecting their spawn DC

      Delete
  11. Poor old Bramble. Glad your knees are improving. It's lovely to see the first signs of Spring isn't it.
    Twiggy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Twiggy, certainly feels good knowing Spring is starting

      Delete
  12. Would love to do striding edge, but sheesh, I'm hopeless with heights

    ReplyDelete
  13. So glad Bear is better. My two send her their very best wishes :o) Plants looking good in the garden and the snails too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you CT, Bear appreciates the thought and says Thanks guys

      Delete

Feel free to comment but no blaspheming now...