The extra bits...(Under construction).

Thursday, 12 March 2015

Terry Pratchett 1949 - 2015

      
Pratchett - Reaper Man


     Tis not in my nature to write upon these pages concerning the death of others, especially the famous others, but today I learnt of the death of someone whose words have been a constant in my life ever since I picked up and read 'Reaper Man' a tale of an imaginary place called 'The Discworld', a place that reflects so many of our own flaws with sharp insight and a very dry humour. The central character of this particular book was the Discworld's Death who spoke in capitals and rode a white horse called Binky. Only special people, mainly wizards, would receive the 'personal' touch from Death, usually to their surprise and befuddlement! But all hell breaks loose when Death decides to quit his job and people just won't die! 

      There are many tombs written by Mr. Pratchett upon the Discworld with all the characters being so well crafted I always fall into the stories and am lost to world whilst so engaged. Death has always remained my favorite character in all these tales, even when he only had a bit part.

     So it was with some sadness that Mr. Pratchetts demise was brought to my attention but with a wry smile I thought that at least he will get to meet Death and Binky, after all to me he was a wizard of the the written word. Rest in peace Mr. Pratchett.


9 comments:

  1. I was listening to men at arms as I saw your blog post pop up. Very sad news. He's one of my absolute favourite authors- I have his audios on all the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh Vimes and Carrot....most excellent characters CT.

      Delete
  2. Very sad indeed, Mr Twigs is a huge fan, I thought he was a very clever, funny and nice chap
    Twiggy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A sad lose indeed Twiggy, he will be sorely missed.

      Delete
  3. I was thinking of posting my sadness at Sir Terry's passing but had no idea how to adequately express my feelings so I didn't. Thank you for commenting so compassionately on behalf of his many fans. An enormous loss to the world indeed. My thoughts are with his family, hopefully his final moments were kind ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kind words PP, definitely left a hole has his passing.

      Delete
  4. Very sad news, and a very cruel disease that killed him. He left behind some really nice work, though. May he rest in peace.
    .

    ReplyDelete
  5. He certainly helped shape my teenage years, I've gotten lost in so many of his books and it feels like I grew up reading his stories ever since a friend lent me one of his books. I saw him at Cheltenham literally festival a few years ago and his was very much as you'd expect, nice and extremely witty, it was an interesting talk that he gave. I'm sure his books will be loved by all for many years to come.

    ReplyDelete
  6. For some reason I have never read him but have many friends that have done so. They all speak highly of his writing and his craftsmanship.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to comment but no blaspheming now...