The extra bits...(Under construction).

Thursday, 2 April 2015

Interlude ....

     Well good evening ladies and gentlemen and I hope that all is well with you and yours. I have a small admission to make and that recently all has not been quite so well with myself as the Bitch has bared her fangs a tad and caught me out just when I was beginning to let my guard down a little, guess I should have known better than to forget about her. The upshot is that I've taken some time away from the Fun factory, an interlude if you will, and also had my medication reviewed with the result that things are feeling much calmer in my mind at the moment. To stop myself from succumbing totally to the Black Dog I've keep busy even though unable to face a return to work just yet and together with support from my partner G., my friend Mr. Jones and not forgetting the terrible twosome I am avoiding falling any further.

     So just to show I am not yet a couch potato here is a brief catch up of the past couple of days. With regards to the wildlife garden and the compromises that have to be made I've decided to add a few more edibles to the patio area, as if I haven't planted enough tubs already! It was started when shopping in our local super-market (still don't know what is so bloody 'super' 'bout em) and I made my usual cursory glance over the cheap plant section where a solitary packet of one ragged Asparagus lay in the bargain section priced 50p, so being ever the pirate and tight fisted git that I am when finally reaching the checkout I asked, tongue very much in cheek, if I could have more discount on the Asparagus being as it looked dead and it was the last one? The Norse goddess of a girl behind her till just laughed and put it in my bag without ringing it through, you see I might be getting on but I've still got it (although what 'it' is escapes me). 

     Damn thing is once home and eager to plant this freebie I realised that this may not be quite such a bargain as first thought as I then had to go out again and by a suitable terracotta pot, compost and some sand to mix with said compost to give me a free draining potting medium, bugger. So then I finally get around to potting up my Asparagus together with some trailing Lobelia to add even more Summer color to the patio, then I noticed some Parsley and Chives that had been donated to the cause last year and both were horrendously pot bound so these got to be repotted too. All these plants fit in with the wildlife garden compromise as they are edible for moi, the Parsley and Asparagus have lovely foliage and the Chive when flowering will be Bee heaven, so a good result me thinks...

All this because of one chuffin' Asparagus....

The culprit ready to be covered...

Ta daa, job done

Repotted Chive....

....and repotted Parsley.

     Other time has been spent at Mr. Jones's motorcycle workshop where I've been helping out and generally making a nuisance of myself, although it is always good to be there with a good friend and although working, not feel any pressure. Also my E-Bay shop has now turned from being somewhere from which I used to 'comfort buy' to a place where I'm actually selling a few items, and as such is actually quite rewarding in a doing something constructive kind of way.

     I think I have touch upon the state of my workshop in the past and you'll be pleased to know that nothing had changed, in fact it looked considerably worse when I ventured to open its doors this morning.....



     ....so today has been spent on clearing it out properly, laying a second floor layer and burning a mountain of crap which I had amassed upon my nomadic travels...



     Unfortunately there are no 'after' pictures as it started pissing persistently raining as I was doing the final clear up of detritus. There is still a lot of work to be done but it is at least now a man cave and can but used to help me with the myriad of jobs that always seem to be waiting for me. But this keeping busy has been good and now I cannot wait to watch the garden mature.

     So that's about it for now, a right mish mash of a post and I hope I have not bored you too much. Til the next time take care folks..

John

21 comments:

  1. I still cant read your font but i'm still following x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bloody hell John you really need to get your eyes tested, but being as it is you I will see what I can do afor me next post :-)

      Delete
  2. Can't go wrong with more edibles my friend...and....

    Holy Cow!!! Your shop is worse than mine. I never thought that possible. I owe you dude you just made me feel really good about my putting things back in place skills :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well PP I'm glad that the state of my workshop has given you a lift my good man although I am determined that my small workshop will be a source of envy instead of mirth in future posts ;-)

      Delete
  3. Hi John sorry to hear you have been having your troubles again, I'm feeling a bit better now, but I say that today but who knows tommorow it could turn the other way,I have been busy sorting out the herbs as well, I also do ebay, its nice to get a few extra pennies, take care

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you SL, I'm glad that you're feeling a tad better but your are right tis a right old rollercoaster this depression malarky. I am hoping to be able to fund a major project through Ebay and that's the introduction of a larger pond for some fish ,Golden Rudd spring to mind..not very wildlife friendly perhaps but a compromise as my partner G and myself enjoy fish and it'll give me a chance to plant some water lilies. I may well introduce another wildlife pond and marsh area although it'll be tiny.

      Delete
  4. Your font starts as one kind before changing swiftly into another but I can read both! That wall would look nice re-painted and would throw more light into that area. Looking forward to seeing your sorted shed. Good job on keeping yourself busy, always helps me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey DC, The font doesn't change here on my home page but still looking into changing it for a certain Mr. Gray. Thought about re-painting that wall but I'm not sure now, agreed it would throw more light into the area put I'm thinking of covering it with a 'hedge' of climbers and contained planting to produce a 'Living wall', Read a lot about the benefits of these schemes and it'll give more wildlife friendly area albeit vertical area.

      Delete
  5. You've been busy :o) All the planting looks good and the state of the man shed made me smile. My husband managed to upend an entire tin of white paint in his over the weekend which covered tools, wood, bicycles and all and entailed the remainder of the day being given over to washing it clean, which then flooded the kitchen floor. These things are sent to try us.... Hope you feel better my dear x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I'm glad that I am not the only clumsey shed dweller CT ;-) I am pleased with the planting yet I want to do so much more with my limited space! Considering more water, a 'green wall' and a living roof either on the shed or a lean to store I've yet to build. Yes the garden is a compromise betwixt so many requirements but hopefully above all it will provide a small oasis for some of the local wildlife.

      Delete
  6. I really like your blog template John. Did you see Monty Don and his adorable dog: Nigel planting Asparagus last week on Gardeners World?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Dave though I still think I'll try changing the font. I did see Mr. Don and Nigel last week, lovely animal...Nigel that be. To be honest I have never taken to Mr. Don but having said this it has been some time since I have watched him and he did come across very well this time and yes I had him in mind when I 'purchase' the lonely Asparagus plant.

      Delete
  7. Reading all caps is a touch hard! I wish you luck with your budget greenfingery however!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the input Simon and as mentioned in previous comments I am looking into changing the font. 'Budget Greenfingery' I like that and may well have to make use of the phrase on further posts.

      Delete
  8. how strange -- i don't seem to be having font troubles...maybe it depends upon one's browser? surrendering to the mystery....

    i'm in the habit of buying decrepit plants as well...i feel sorry for them. like picking out the most runty, spindly Christmas tree in the lot. also, i'm thrifty like that. ;) i'm sure your asparagus will rally, now that it's had a bit of TLC.

    sorry to hear you were on a bit of a down-swing, but i'm glad that a bit of pottering in the garden helped. .[ha! pun not intended but gratefully received!]. your workshop looks a bit like our spare room.....;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. God help your spare room Mel if it's anything like my shed :-). The pottering certainly does help and getting my hands in the soil seems almost magical at times like this, thank you for popping again m'dear.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Years ago I tended garden at an historical site here and the grand dame insisted on rocksalt be spread on the asparagus patch. I still wonder why but the patch was always abundant. Maybe something you could look into.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cheryl, I've done some in depth research upon this (ok I've googled it over me first brew this morning) and apparently Asparagus are reasonable tolerant to salt levels so the general consensus seems that it was a practice of applying enough rock salt to kill weeds in Asparagus beds. Todays view appears to that the best control method is weeding and then mulching as this controls the weeds and enriches the soil whereas rock salt is probably harmful to the soil and microorganisms within.
      Funny but in answering this it has made me realise that my view of plants that we term 'weeds' has changed, I feel a post coming on.

      Delete
  11. The pots are looking good - you can get some amazing bargains from supermarkets sometimes :) Hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Robin, it's always rewarding to 'save' desolate plants from 'not so supermarkets'

      Delete

Feel free to comment but no blaspheming now...