The extra bits...(Under construction).

Monday, 25 May 2015

Fifty Not Out ...

      Well last Thursday I managed to hit the grand age of 50 years old, bugger. I cannot believe that it seemed like only yesterday when, in my late teens, I couldn't even imagine reaching such an old and ancient age. But now I'm here I still feel like myself, ok yes I know with my dysfunctional mind that does open up a whole can of worms. As I was saying I still feel like myself just with more aches, definitely a damn sight more grumpy outlook on life and most certainly less tolerance of fools and idiots (most of the human race then). So yeah fifty, not out, aint too bad at all. 

      Oh not forgetting that being as it was my fiftieth I could expect some special treatment, besides the gifts of failing eyesight, arthritic knees, incontinence and even louder flatulence. George didn't disappoint me in the slightest, firstly presenting moi with a most wonderful cake...



     ...then after a mystery drive we ended up in the Welsh town of Caernarfon where I was presented with two first class tickets for the Welsh Highland narrow gauge steam train that runs from Caernarfon  down to Porthmadog, passing through the glorious Snowdonia mountain range...












     I have to admit that Porthmadog was a tad dreary for moi, kind of reminded me of somewhere you'd heard was lovely but once there it turned out to be kind of bland, and I was bloody pleased to be heading back on the return leg.

      But the celebrations did not end there, upon our return to the village I was told to get freshened up as a table was booked at a restaurant not tried before, the Golden Lion in Rosset. Bloody hell a better meal I have not had for a long time and the ale was most satisfactory to boot.

      Thinking that was it I was told that on Saturday we were returning to Caernarfon to visit the Castle....






     A steam ride through the Welsh mountains and a visit to one of Edward the First's 'iron fist' of castles, what more could I ask for as I love the life steam engines seem to possess and the power that the Welsh castles exude. We topped it off today with a walk along the Llangollen canal at Chirk. A lovely walk with plenty to see from feats of wonderful engineering, wildlife and even sometimes the odd curiosity....

























        So a fine birthday weekend it proved to be and as write I'm now awaiting one last present to materialize this week. I've had my trusty Fujifilm FinePix F72EXR now for several years and all pictures that I post here have been taken by it. But I always felt that I perhaps could get some better wildlife shots if I could just get a tad closer to the intended subject. Now being as I have the grace of a raging bull elephant on heat the likelihood of me being able to approach said wildlife to within range of my camera is about bugger all. Knowing this George told me to go upon the tinternet and find myself something that I could perhaps take the next photographic step with. Well not wanting to spend too much nor go too gadgety, I have ordered from the wonderful Ebay a second hand one of these....



     ....tis the Panasonic  Lumix DCM-FZ200. Now tis not the most modern of 'bridge' cameras nor in the same class as a DSLR but after reading many reviews, buyer's comments, and actually taking the time to understand at least some of the jargon this is the wee beastie that I have plumped for to hopefully take me further with my pictures, fingers crossed. 

     So there you have it, my 50th birthday weekend which was not too shabby at all m'thinks. Til the next time, take the time to look after yourselves,

John

46 comments:

  1. HAPPY BIRTHDAY! It sounds like a smashing time was had. The Lumixes are grand cameras, I'm sure you'll be pleased with it :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you m'dear, It was between the Lumix and the Fujifilm Finepix X-S1 so plumping for another make is quite a step for this 'stick with what you know' old git!

      Delete
    2. I've got two- my old one which is fab for moth close-ups, and the newer one which is amazing for distant bird shots. You won't be disappointed if my experience is anything to go by :o)

      Delete
    3. Bloody Hell CT you've read my mind as that is what I'm thinking of doing with my 'two' cameras :-)

      Delete
  2. Happy 50th! what a lot of celebrating and lovely photos

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy birthday John ! So glad you got out and enjoyed yourself for the weekend, the photos are great ,brings back some wonderful memories for me . The cake is really good!
    All the best for now and always ! "Cheers to 50 years " Bron x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Bron, tasted bloody nice too ;-)

      Delete
  4. Happy Birthday you old man ha, not far behind so allowed to say that. What a lovely birthday, you deserved it x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Happy Birthday xxx I adore your castley day out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhhh castley days out are always good my dear, thanks Rach.

      Delete
  6. Happy Belated Birthday John - looks like it was a really good day - Welcome to the over 50's club!! Xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Trudie, Over 50's club? Bugger ;-)

      Delete
  7. Well, you were definitely spoilt by George, my goodness. It sounds like a fabulous weekend. I checked out the menu at the Golden Lion. What a selection to choose from. Seems to me you would be spoilt for choice. So glad you had a great time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed I was Janice, not really spoilt for choice as we'll most definitely be going back to try out more of the menu :-).

      Delete
  8. If it makes you feel any younger John, I'd already graduated High School when you were born. Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Mark, Doesn't make me feel any younger, just happy I'm not the only old un here ;-)

      Delete
  9. Porthmadog LOL, you do hear of so many places that are supposed to be "Oh my god must see" places, but turn out to be really boring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed Simon, actually I was being kind to the place.

      Delete
  10. Hard to ask for a better birthday weekend than that! You're damn spoiled :P !!! . But congrats anyway, John. And thanks for all the pics. Done my eyes and mind some good. Take care -

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely Spoilt Casey, glad the pics helped a tad.

      Delete
  11. Happy Birthday dear John!! I'm so glad it was special for you and I can't wait to see the pictures you'll take with the new camera!

    Best wishes and a hug from your friend across the pond!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why thank you Jennifer....I'll be practising for a tad m'thinks before any pics are published here ;-)

      Delete
  12. They done you proud! Belated Happy birthday. Isn't North Wales beautiful, I lived there for a while and rather miss it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you my good man, tis truly God's own country.

      Delete
  13. Belated Happy Birthday Greetings, George spoiled you, it all looked fab, some good memories there x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you HT, she certainly did spoil me and yes a great time to look back upon.

      Delete
  14. Happy Birthday and well done George for organising that little lot. Love the cake!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you DC, she's a bloody star is my George.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy Birthday and some great pictures there. Gratz on the new camera as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers PP. Hopefully the new camera won't be to technical for moi.

      Delete
  17. what a most fantastic cake!!! happiest of [belated] birthdays to you -- you were definitely celebrated!

    i'll be curious to hear how you get on with your new camera -- i'm at the point where i want to move on to the "next level". DSLRs rather intimidate me but the ghetto-cam has long had it's day...so Something Must Be Done. perhaps a "bridge" camera is just what i need.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mel, I was thinking upon a DSLR but like you balked at them, Installments on the bridge camera to follow ;)

      Delete
  18. Happy Birthday john x
    Anon!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Happiest of birthdays and many good returns of the day! I am 57 and I well remember my 50th but instead had a dragon cake baked by my daughter with the help of my partner and it was lovely. I ADORE the photos!!! And....I think you are much loved....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Maria, a dragon cake eh, m'thinks you're partly Welsh then ;-) I also believe that your good self is truly loved lass.

      Delete
  20. Happy Birthday - sounds like you had the most marvellous celebration and the cake is wonderful. Enjoy your new camera :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Robin, it'll take me ages to learn how to use the new camera...bloody technical I'm not :(

      Delete
  21. A belated very happy birthday, John! My word you did have a lovely weekend too. We did the walk along the canal at Chirk last summer and found it fascinating. Your new camera looks great and I look forward to seeing more photos from it. Remember too that despite the aches you are still a youngster compared to me :-)

    ReplyDelete
  22. PS the cake absolutely brilliant! Any left perchance? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately not m'dear, and very tasty it was too ;-) I think the new camera might be a challenge for me. Thank you for the wishes m'dear

      Delete
  23. Happy belated birthday, Wales looks almost as beautiful as Cornwall xxx Lovely train!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Froogs, almost? I think young lady we shall have to agree to disagree upon who lives in the most beautiful area, each are special in their own ways (though I still think Wales has the edge) ;-)

      Delete
    2. Defo in the eye of the beholder, we are aiming to get to Wales for a holiday, 'tis on the bucket list

      Delete

Feel free to comment but no blaspheming now...