The extra bits...(Under construction).

Wednesday, 24 June 2015

Wildlife garden update ......

      Greetings from a rather sunny (well it was this afternoon) North Wales ladies, gentlemen and all ye other buggers. Well the first part of this update is to let you know that my tiny wildlife garden has now been given a name. Now I know that my back yard may not be as grand as the victorian fields estates of yore but it is fast becoming my little piece of paradise and I have decided that, as small and as un-grand that it be, it damn well is going to have a name. So with reference to all the allowances and compromises that this, and many other gardens have to make in providing an 'outside space' please be welcome to "Compromise Garden".

      Right now that little bit of chest puffing is out of the way here be the updates that most of you (I hope) will be interested in ....

     Well for starters the recent improvement in the weather has seen a spurt of growth in the planting and most pleasing of all is the fact that at last the bees have finally found Compromise Garden and the place is now buzzing, literally ....








     As well as the bees there have been other insects finally finding their way into the garden including the return of Whirligig Beetles, and a Pond Skater to the small pond, a whole mass of different types of Hover Flies and even a couple of Cabbage White Butterflies have dipped in and out of the garden. The birds are becoming bolder, to the extent that the Sparrows now take dust baths under the noses of the terrible twosome, there is also new avian visitors in the form of a pair of Goldfinch that appear now everyday. Hopefully soon I'll be able to show some pictures of the various feathered visitors. 

     I have not added to many new plants to the garden lately, I guess that I'm being slightly more selective now that I have the majority of the framework of the garden in place and each plant now has to truly earn its place. Having said that I have added 6 more young Lavender plants, a small Wisteria (Amethyst Falls), a Clematis from my parents, and some more wildflowers in the form of a couple of seedlings, Hawthorn and a Dog Rose, and also a clump of Common Bird's-foot-trefoil. Even at this early stage in the gardens history the changes and the way it is already evolving can be seen almost on a daily basis, from flowers fading and been outshone by emerging other blooms to the seemingly mad dash of the plants as they try to out compete each other for space. Even the scents from the garden change with faint whiffs of the most beautiful fragrances being replaced by others depending upon weather, time of day or just by where I pause to soak up the feeling of calm the garden now gives me. Indeed Compromise garden already is fulfilling the desire that I had when I first envisaged what the tiny plot behind our victorian house could provide, namely a refuge both for wildlife and for my troubled mind...













     Oh and finally as I was snapping away this caught my eye ....



     I believe it to be a Leaf Cutter Bee, it seemed to be struggling with the piece of vegetation and alighted upon this Peoni for a breather.

      There is still much to do before the full structure of the garden is finished and with the arrival of a pond liner this week the fish pond can now be started on to take the place of the desert that is presently in front of the shed so completing the hard outline for the middle of the 'glade' that I'm trying to manufacture and let the garden resemble in time.



     Well that's about it as I'm well and truly knackered so I will call it a day, until the next time take care of yourselves,

John



24 comments:

  1. Your wildlife garden is sounding and looking great.. we started overhauling our garden to be wildlife friendly as possible in 2013.. this year we have seen the most bees and birds ever in our garden.. in fact our garden is positively alive and it's wonderful. It's our haven :o) You have taken some great photos.. my favourites being the bee ones and of course your adorable 'terrible twosome' who have the sweetest little faces.. love them :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Julie....I bet your garden is a little piece of Eden right now. Oh and don't be fooled by their sweet little faces, the terrible twosome are well named. ;-)

      Delete
  2. Size isn't everything John. If you were sitting in your lovely garden with your eyes closed, you would have no idea of its size. Coming along nicely can't wait to see the pond.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tried shutting my eyes DC and your absolutely right about the size 'disappearing', only trouble the terrible twosome took the opportunity to run riot. Speaking of the pond I've started breaking my back digging it out today...bugger

      Delete
  3. Marvellous! It's all looking fab :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks brilliant. Love the foxgloves and Black Elder ( at least I think it's a black Elder!). i look forward to seeing what you will do with the bit in the middle to make a pond. Have a good rest

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sue, It is Elder though foe all it's flowers it doesn't seem too popular with the pollinating insects. No rest for the wicked, guess that makes me very wicked then ;-)

      Delete
  5. It's coming along quite nicely!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very colorful, the pond looks good as do the "children". Keep the pictures coming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mark, I'll do my best to keep em coming

      Delete
  7. Great to see the bees in your garden John , still not many around here. You have a great variety of flowers which are very pretty in colour and I'm sure in scent as well. Nice to hear that it's all coming together nicely and thank you for sharing your beautiful photography as well. ..... Bron * *

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Bron, tis a long way to go yet though..

      Delete
  8. Your garden looks great John. A patio in front of the shed perhaps?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cheers Dave, "A patio in front of the shed perhaps?".....it would be the world's smallest my good man, although I do have a cunning plan for the corner formed by shed and fence panel, stay tuned

    ReplyDelete
  10. The garden is coming along beautifully - wonderful photos of the flowers and bees :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Robin, still lots to do though :-)

      Delete
  11. As always, thanks for sharing John. Lovely work and lovely pictures. I will be interested to hear how the fish pond goes- I suspect in my neck of the woods, they are really just mosquito breeding grounds...

    ReplyDelete
  12. A garden is a lovely place to take a troubled mind. And I LOVE your start. It looks very haphazard and wild, JUST as a proper garden should look. I get so weary of manufactured and strictly trimmed gardens. I say let a garden have a mind of its own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Maria, and yes I totally agree without about the calm a garden brings to troubled more minds. It is a compromise as it's names suggest but I try to 'manage' the garden as little as possible and try to let it lead me....if that makes sense?

      Delete
    2. With you...not without...can't be arsed writing it all again ;-)

      Delete
  13. You have some lovely flowers in your garden, think I was a bit late putting the wild seeds in my front garden (going to be wild patch) they still might catch up yet. I have the Yellow foxglove and my new pond is home to quite a few mozies. Like you it's work in progress...
    Amanda xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the gardening will always be work in progress Amanda ;-)
      Autumn is a good time for sowing wild seeds apparently. And yes there are mozies in my little pond...but actually they're welcome, food for something I hope.

      Delete

Feel free to comment but no blaspheming now...