The extra bits...(Under construction).

Thursday, 2 July 2015

Compromise Garden....Pond life ...

     A very good evening goodly folk of the blogosphere and I hope that you are all in fine fettle?

      Well after a trip to and from Londonium in yesterday's sweltering heat in a van with no air conditioning I have to report that all here at Compromise Garden are bloody well knackered too say the least! Fortunately the terrible twosome were spared the ordeal and are having a break from us at the moment. I just have to say at this point how many dogs have to die such horrible deaths in these hot conditions before people are either educated or punished for their neglect or just plain stupidity? 

      Well rant over and on with this swift posting. Having unloaded previously mentioned furnace on wheels I decided to cool off in the shade of compromise garden drinking fruit juice (not from the Fun Factory, bloody bilge) this noon after and take a look at the small wildlife pond. Within seconds I am scampering to the house for me camera as there are new guests in and around the small, watery, refuge...


My first Damsel Fly

A tiny Water Boatman

and the Tadpoles are now tiny Frogs

      I am really pleased with the way this small pond has changed. It certainly appears to be attracting the wildlife and I hope that this small success will convince others that only the smallest of ponds is required to encourage a whole bunch of wildlife to your garden. Speaking of ponds the fish pond has now been started and I have a feeling that once finished (not that anything in a garden is ever truly finished) this project will really tie the garden together....



     ...as you can see it has taken centre stage yet I know that once finished and planted it will just be another component of Compromise Garden, blending in and adding to the sum of the 'hole' garden. And yes I did say "fish pond", not perhaps exactly a watery area that would be ideal for a wildlife garden but as the name implies tis another compromise. 

       My George has not asked for much in Compromise Garden and has left the vast majority of decisions to me, the fool! But one thing requested was water flowing towards the house with a certain number of fish, it be a Feng Shui thing. Now ideally Koi Carp would be the fish of choice but for myself that would mean a lifeless pond as virtually no plant life would survive and the pond would just be a deep pit, I plumped for Golden Rudd but another aspect of the Feng Shui thingy was that there should be eight red fish and one black fish. So after some head scratching we agreed upon the lowly common Goldfish as the choice when the pond is ready and mature enough to accept them. Yes I know that wildlife will not flourish in this pond but with more robust planting and some careful planning I am hopeful that some wildlife will find this compromise a suitable option to frequent, time will tell I guess.

    Tomorrow I am hoping to spend a little time down at plot A2 but that depends upon a host of other chores being completed first.Well tea is on the table so that will be all for this evening's post, til the next time fare thee well my friends...

John

19 comments:

  1. That be a big hole but like you said, planting will soften the edges and provide a safe spot for any wildlife daft enough to be in there with the fish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed it be a big hole DC, but hopefully it will add to the 'peace' of Compromise garden as it matures.

      Delete
  2. Our mini pond which is only a large stone sink has got 4 frogs living in and around it, it's lovely to see them pop up and then disappear when we walk past. Your 2 ponds will be brilliant

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your mini pond sounds wonderful Sue, just hoping that mine will be up to scratch.

      Delete
  3. The frogs in the pond at the previous house used to "sing" from early spring until late fall. We sure miss them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Frog song on a warm and damp summers night is something that I miss too Mark, hopefully some of these tiny buggers leaving the pond will survive and return in the future to serenade us in summers to come.

      Delete
  4. Neat. I always wanted to built a small garden fish pond but never did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well there is always tomorrow PP, actually perhaps you should consider a Carp pond for a food source?

      Delete
  5. Hi , your pond is going to look great! Nice to see the little creatures have finally found your garden . I saw 2 of the frogs here in my garden by the pool the other day in the rain , I am sure they were loving the rain. Very vocal too! Looking forward to seeing the pond finished ...take care *
    Bron

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bron, I'm hoping to hear Frog chorus here also in the years to come.

      Delete
  6. Wonderful job John. If it helps at all, someone dumped some goldfish into the spring at my father's house some years ago and they did very well. Temperatures would get down to freezing (but not for excessively long periods of time) and they did fine. Added quite a bit of color.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder TB, were there other fish in that spring?

      Delete
    2. There were not. The occasional turtle and a healthy population of frogs but that was about it. And I believe it is a sustaining population at this point.

      Delete
  7. Lovely to see how your wildlife pond is progressing and wildlife that visits :) Your new pond is going to look great too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Robin, always a work in progress though ;-)

      Delete
  8. It's all v tranquil. I love that word. Suits your little piece of the Planet X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now I do indeed like that word Rachel, thank you my dear x

      Delete
  9. Nice pics John.
    You have a great way with words, transports me to the 15th. Century ! very entertaining.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you Wean, tis a pleasure m'dear ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to comment but no blaspheming now...