The extra bits...(Under construction).

Monday, 17 August 2015

About time.....

     So there I was sitting in our small compromise of a garden, with a brew in hand and pulling the sticky bobs out of Bear's ear fur after this afternoon's walk with the terrible twosome (how the hell she gets so many seeds in her fur on a short walk is beyond me). No real thoughts passing through my mind just letting it drift where it will which is a huge improvement on times gone by when I couldn't stop my mind racing away and cascades of dark thought pouring through it. Then there was a interruption to my meditative state which the buzzing of a green Dragonfly, the first to grace my small wildlife haven.

        For a good five minutes it buzzed around until it appeared to latch onto something with wings and flew off to enjoy its meal. I realized that the increase in water volume in the garden was probably responsible for this visit. The small wildlife pond has already attracted a pair of mating Damselflies so I shouldn't have been surprised and this latest visitor being as the fish pond is now all but finished with just pump and filter to be installed. It also dawned upon me that I had not shared the pond with the folk that take the time to read my scribings so, just before I head off to the not so fun factory heres a few pictures to let you know that I have not being idle of late....

The view from above Compromise garden....


The Lavender is attracting its fair share of pollinators...


....as are the Corn flowers


Not forgetting the wildlife pond which is slowly blending in and becoming almost natural looking.
    
       So that be about it for now, hopefully I'll find some time to post more about the construction of Compromise garden and lessons already learnt for gardening in a small space with wildlife in mind.

Until the next time take care,

John

37 comments:

  1. Goodness me, it's looking marvellous- well done you :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why thanks CT, still a lot to do and mistakes to rectify but it has certainly risen above my expectations when I turned the first sod last autumn.

      Delete
  2. That all looks lovely, a nice place to relax and contemplate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you DC, it is becoming a place to rest a troubled mind.

      Delete
  3. I can't wait to sit in that garden with mug in hand, and finally get to deliver one of these hugs in person!
    Man Wonderful says he will bring the wine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that Tracy sounds like a damn fine plan, which reminds me that we will be down your neck of the woods late September.

      Delete
  4. Your garden looks splendid John and if I am to be honest it could bring about a sense of shame within me however, I shall not let it :) :)
    Will you be putting in some catfish to keep the bottom of the pond clean or just rely upon the plants and filters to do that job ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too small (6 foot diameter) for catfish my good man, it will have a pump/filter system but hopefully once fully planted it won't rely on this as only having nine fish in it.

      Delete
  5. What a nice place to sit. lovely

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sol, tis really becoming a relaxing little spot.

      Delete
  6. It's looks beautiful John and it looks like its a peaceful place to sit and enjoy nature - we'll done xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Trudie, it is indeed a peaceful spot.

      Delete
  7. I don't know John. I'm thinking a lounge chair, a good book, and a nap should about cover it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Not forgetting a decent ale perchance Mark?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well your garden is certainly looking good and cozy. Fit's together nicely there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers PP, as I have said in answer to others comments mistakes have been made and there will be changes to some of the planting but I guess that's just how the garden evolves. Vertical gardening and a living roof are on the horizon as well as a Sparrow box I've been intending to repair and put up for some months now.

      Delete
  10. It reminds me of one of those small space gardens at the Chelsea show. Well done, you have the right to be proud of yourself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cro though I think there's lots more to be done yet.

      Delete
  11. How perfectly lovely! Well done, John!

    I think your flowers are beautiful, and the pond is too. What a nice escape your garden must be for you, and a great home for all the little wild creatures!

    Please share more photos when you have time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jennifer, I will try and post more pictures in the next week or so...

      Delete
  12. wow, that is one beautiful garden. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Buttercup (lovely name)

      Delete
    2. obviously my 'nom de plume' given to me by my dad who died before my third birthday. I was not told of this until I was in my late 50,s. I now use it in memory of him.x

      Delete
  13. Brilliant! if ever you want a job as a garden designer you would do well

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sue though I think that may be a goal to high ;-)

      Delete
  14. Your garden is looking amazing John! .A lovely spot to just sit and let the world go by and enjoy the wildlife too.
    Well done !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anon (still think that be a strange name, french maybe?)

      Delete
  15. It looks like a wonderful place! Thanks for sharing photos of it so those of us in Blogland could see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is certainly getting there Megan, tis my pleasure in sharing.

      Delete
  16. What a spectacular place for a hide-and-read spot! And I adore cornflowers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "hide-and-read spot" now that I like Maria, the bees are all over the cornflowers and they are also one of my 'new found' favorites. :-)

      Delete
  17. It looks absolutely beautiful. What a blissful place to sit and relax. Cracking job. X

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to comment but no blaspheming now...