The extra bits...(Under construction).

Monday, 24 August 2015

Compromise Garden, fishpond update ....

      Good evening ladies and gentlemen (yes there are still a few of us gents out there) of the blogosphere. While there was enough blue in the sky today to patch a sailors pants I decided to make the header pool and waterfall feature for the fishpond. Just as well really as I have just had e-mail conformation that the new pump and filter kit is due to arrive tomorrow.

      For a change I remembered to document the stages of this small construction in the form of a few hastily taken pictures....




     As you can see the young pond has got its first algae bloom but I am not concerned about this as with the introduction of the filter system and plants the water will soon clear. The first stage, shown above, was to make the basic support for the header pool. No cement used here just earth pressed up tight against the bricks...


     ....once happy with the basic shape I then covered it all with under-liner to prevent any sharp edges from damaging the liner proper...


      .....which was the next to be added. Looking very untidy at this stage, but do not worry..it gets worse.....


     ....told you so, this large piece of slate serves two purposes...firstly as a support for the special feature...easy now... and secondly as the piece on which the water hopefully runs down to the pond in a tranquil and peaceful cascade (yeah right o)....


       .....ta da... the special feature item..an old iron pig feeder! now bare with me I have dream....



     ..... with the addition of some locally sourced stone, ahem don't ask, it is starting to look something like a water feature. Time for a quick test run then m'thinks....



      .....not bad, not bad at all, still needs a few tweaks but that will happen whilst I install the filter system. It does look a tad rough I will admit but once the pond and surrounding area is planted I am hoping it will pull together as well as the rest of the garden has done.

      Speaking of the rest of the garden, the dragonfly, spotted a couple of days ago, returned whilst I was doing my hairy arsed builder impression and this time I managed to get a couple of shots of the little camera shy tyke...







       Funny but it spent most of the time landing on different areas of stone around the new pond, each time probing around with the floor its rear end, does anyone have an explanation for this behavior? I have to admit to being absolutely spellbound by this majestic creature and its acrobatic display around the garden.

     We have also indulged ourselves in a few more plants from a posh garden center this weekend just gone, these include;- Chrysanthemum Branroyal white (actually its pink!), Sedum Munstead Red, Ligulria Desdemona (the foliage is bloody lovely), Oxalis triangularis, two stunningly blue Delphiniums (Blue Nile & Faust) and finally Geranium Rozanne. Sorry about the posh names but I thought that I would try and make the effort to upgrade my paltry blog with some clever sounding stuff. The majority of these plants were not bought with wildlife in mind I have to confess but rather just to add structure and were some plants that just caught our eye. The Geranium was the only wildlife consideration buy, it was covered in bees at the center and I had just the spot in mind for one. A mad burst of extravagance I know but they have all added value in different ways to compromise garden. Well I finish off with just a few quick snaps of whats just flowering now....
The Geranium in its new home...... under my seat.


Delphinium Faust 
Delphinium Blue Nile


Ligularia Desdemona....this one was already in the garden I've just added another.

     That just about wraps it up then I guess so I wish you all peace and good wishes, till the next time take good care of yourselves,

John

21 comments:

  1. You do take some lovely photos John.....but then you have some lovely things to take photos of!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Sooze.....God only knows how though, I am all fingers n thumbs with me new camera at the moment!

      Delete
  2. Well, you aced it with the "clever sounding stuff" because you lost me right at the beginning. You sound like my new neighbor. He says, oh that ........ and he rattles off some Latin sounding name and I say, "Oh the green one". Keep up the good work. It's looking great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not to worry Mark, normal service will resume shortly (I only knew them because this time I kept hold of the labels!) I wonder if your new neighbor is related to a certain Mr. Rogers, the man I acquired the pig feeder from, because he is exactly the same with his Latin descriptions, but it is strange that he doesn't seem to know the common names of flora or fauna!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi John, your water feature is going to add a lovely sense of calm to your garden, I love water features in gardens. Looking forward to seeing it finished.
    How beautiful is the dragonfly , great photos and your lucky enough to get close enough. .they usually are not still long enough for me to capture a picture of them .
    Beaut variety of flowers and great photo's of them John ...
    Good luck with everything!
    Bron **

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bron, ahhh but trying to catch the Dragonfly in flight was an entirely different kettle of fish! The sound of gently running water should indeed add calm to the garden, even though it already a calming place to site and let the mind rest awhile.

      Delete
  5. It's coming along nicely! Last evening, I saw a number of dragonflies swarming in the back yard. At least eight and then more joined, but it was hard to count them, maybe twelve. They were flying about seemingly one chasing another and then back around again. One had his back end hooked much like your photo, the rest were straight. I wondered if it were some sort of courtship? I was transfixed for 20 minutes or so and finally went in to the house after the flies and mosquitoes thought me a tasty morsel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now you are just showing off Megan ;-)
      Countryside Tales comments below are interesting and certainly helped explain me solitary Dragonfly's antics. You do sound very much like me in that if there is something that is going to bite a human about in the evening then always, and I mean always, it will see me as the tasty option!

      Delete
    2. I'd never seen such a gathering before, which is why it held my interest, and why I found it noteworthy. They all were about their business as if it were quite ordinary. I felt blessed to be given a chance to witness it.

      Delete
    3. As I would have been Megan. I wasn't having a dig m'dear, just wishing that I had more than the one Dragonfly visiting, maybe in time I hope ;-)

      Delete
  6. That is just lovely. Like you say, ponds do go clear. Even with a filter, don't forget oxygenators as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you DC, I've already weighted down some Hornwort and this should soon spread once it takes hold. Once mature, I'm planning to have the majority of the surface area covered with plants which will also reduce algae even though there will be the nine goldfish in residence at some point.

      Delete
  7. Looking good. The dragon looks like it's ovipositing (laying eggs). It's in the right position and they do sometimes lay eggs on stones or soil near ponds, although it's usually wet or mossy. CT.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just looked back at the pics and she is laying into mossy patches not on bare stone so I suspect that's your answer :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that is interesting CT, I thought that Dragonflies would be much like the Damselflies that appear to be breeding over the wildlife pond in that they would be in pairs and laying in the water. After reading your comment I checked the areas where she seemed to concentrate mostly upon and there is moss, some of which I recently added, in basically every spot so you are bang on with this. Thank you for sharing CT, from my point of view even at my ripening age I am such a novice in regards wildlife and gardening with it in mind so advice like this is so very much welcome.

      Delete
  9. You're v welcome my friend. I only learnt by asking questions and listening to answers, knowledge should be shared I reckon. Plus you never stop learning of course :o)

    ReplyDelete
  10. The blue nile brought me to tears. So lovely! And I am in full term crush over this garden. How peaceful and sweet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Maria, now don't you go spilling tears ya daft bugger over a flower....supposed to make you smile ;-)

      Delete
  11. Hello john, found your blog, your garden is coming along great, hope i can eventually create a peaceful place to sit surrounded by colour! Pictures are as good as ever, take care cw

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you CW.......I am sure that you will be able create such a place, after all if I can then anyone can ;-).

      Delete
  12. All of these pictures are great! Anyway, you can actually set up a pond with no filter system. Yes, it is possible as you're going to use natural filters for this one like bog garden and pond plants or aquatic plants. However, having no filter is not going to allow you to grow any fish, but you can still put your fish in this pond temporarily using the method that I mentioned while waiting for your pump and filter.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to comment but no blaspheming now...