The extra bits...(Under construction).

Thursday, 15 October 2015

Close encounters.....

     Well I am in need of help, now don't rushing off to look in Dr. Curealls medical tomb, or warming a shezlong up for me stretch out upon and under hypnosis tell you that a terrible childhood incident concerning me not being allowed a rabbit which then directly led to the theft of an Orangutang leading to my present mental issues (well it could have, honest ahem). But no, I am sorry to disappoint you but the help I request is in the identification of what I suspect is an alien from another planet which appeared whilst I was actually putting my arse into gear and starting to build my extra storage shed, stroke dumping cubicle.... ahhh thinking about that 'dumping cubicle' is actually quite apt as the site where I am constructed said storage was actually where the outside privy was located to the side of the house back in the day....anyways I digress, whilst construction was under way it came to my attention that I was not alone.....



       Now I have to confess to being a tad puzzled by this critter, it resembles a Grasshopper but the little bugger seemed slow moving and, well a bit un-grasshopperish if you know what I mean, oh and them eyes just followed you around the room, yes I know I was outside but they would have followed if I had been inside drinking cider of that I'm bloody well positive. I did bring a few plants back with me from Cornwall, all paid for (well mostly) and I thought perhaps an illegal immigrant from England had snuck in with them over the border but these plants were kept elsewhere in me small garden and planted out Tuesday so this has led me to the only logical conclusion that I have an extraterrestrial lurking in my garden!!

     If any of you (CT ?)can disprove this extremely plausible theory of mine I would appreciate a heads up. Other than that I expect my next post shall be about alien abduction, experiments done on me and perhaps (hopefully) some alien encounters of the ooh missus kind. 

Til the next time, in which ever dimension you may find me, take care..

John

13 comments:

  1. It's an alien grasshopper! But seriously, that is how grasshoppers look/behave here in the states in late autumn... mayhap one of them hopped a boat to visit you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, you be blessed I think it be Cricket me old matey. Rest assured it bain't be an alien from the Milky Way any road!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Being entomology stupid which is a disaster for a fly fisherman, my best guess (following an alien of some sort) would be a cicada. Look toward the bottom of this link https://michaelscomments.wordpress.com/2009/09/19/cicadas-vs-periodic-cicadas-vs-grasshoppers-vs-locusts/ at the one called solitary cicada. That's my best guess.

    ReplyDelete
  4. John,
    Looks to be one of the Tettigoniidae’s (katydids). Now should you spy Sigourney Weaver lurking about in the shrubbery then I would say it was an alien.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's a Cricket. We have loads of them here. I'm sorry to admit, but hundreds of them get 'mowed' every year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It sure looks like a grasshopper to me! Maybe he's slow moving because fall is here and the temperatures are dropping...either that or he slipped inside and took a stealthy sip of your cider! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it's straight out of a Disney movie....

    ReplyDelete
  8. We have had a couple of these. It looks like a Tettigonia Viridissima female in its nymth stage. They can give a nasty bite so don't be too tempted to handle it much. They eat living critters like flys etc. Its common name is Great Green Bush Cricket. There are several slightly different types so hope I have got the correct one!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi John,
    It looks like a female Oak Bush-Cricket to me (Meconema thalassinum). The distribution for this species includes all of Wales (the Great Green Bush-Cricket DC mentions only has very limited south Wales distribution and if memory serves you're more Northern than that?). Also, the yellow markings on the back of the head are more diagnostic of the Oak Bush. The long sticky-outy thing at the back is the ovipositor, used for laying eggs. They're mainly Nocturnal and are out late July to November. A top tip for telling Grasshoppers from Crickets is that Grasshoppers have very short antenna and crickets have long ones. These chaps and chapesses eat small insects, so yet more evidence that your garden is doing well for you. A nice find :o)

    ReplyDelete
  10. It looks a bit like a tree cricket. Ranee

    ReplyDelete
  11. what a lovely lass she is.....such a striking shade of green. i would've guessed grasshopper -- looks like our Ontario grasshoppers....our crickets are very...cricket-ish, which is to say, not looking like a grasshopper. which that one does. anyway -- i defer, as always, to the Moste Wise CT in these matters...and say a hearty congrats on the excellence of your garden!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. ummmm, even I've seen them this side of The Pond. It answers to Jiminy. It's a gender non-specific name so go with the flow. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. No idea. But as long as it is eating it's share of insects, keep it!

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to comment but no blaspheming now...