The extra bits...(Under construction).

Monday, 2 November 2015

Aquarium stage 1 ....

      Good evening gentle folk, whilst I am in the midst of cooking tonight's meal (chicken curry) I thought I would show you my latest project. It has a dual purpose, firstly I have always enjoyed aquariums and secondly it will provide a certain calmness which will sooth my mind.




     This picture was actually taken back in August and since then the aquarium has been cycled, planted, stocked with fish and shrimp. My inspiration for the interior comes from a book entitled 'Nature Aquarium World' by the late Takashi Amano whose influence upon the thought processes of aquarium design resounds today upon a global scale.

      For those of you interested I shall be running a series of posts upon the stages of my aquarium project which hopefully be educational and enjoyable at the same time.

     For now I shall just leave you with my basic thought process regarding this aquarium. As I mentioned earlier the aquarium is also there to help sooth my still sometime troubled mind and I hoped not just to have a 'fish tank' but to create a micro biosphere internal and external to the aquarium. This means extending this 'biosphere' further than the glass tank itself. With this in mind I chose the South facing window in our Victorian house's study to position the aquarium which would allow the use of natural light not just for the aquarium but for plants external to it in an effort to give the area a more natural garden feel, time will tell if this is successful. After choosing the location and taking the first picture (I already had the glass tank) I wanted to really take my time over the whole process and not rush anything, hopefully allowing it to evolve and thus slowing down my previous mindset of wanting everything done asap. This has so far proved rewarding within itself, allowing my thoughts to become more ordered and not the swirling mess that often happened when I undertook processes before the Black dog came to visit. 

     Besides the situating of the aquarium one other step was included before this picture was taken and this was the introduction of the first external plant to the whole area. The plant to the right of the aquarium is Aspidistra Elatior  also known as the 'Cast Iron Plant', a name which I much prefer. This plant was chosen not just because it is a firm favorite of mine but because its jungle like foliage suits the 'feel' that I am trying to achieve and also it was a firm favorite in Victorian times and so seemed appropriate for the house we call home.

 Aquarium Specs....

      The aquarium is a Aqua 620T which a volume capacity of 130 litres or, if like me you prefer 28.6 gallons. Originally it was fitted with a lid that held both lighting and a trickle filter but I decided to do away with these for something a little more in keeping with my thoughts and vision of what I wish to achieve. The background is a textured piece designed to resemble stone or rock. To be honest if this had not already been in place I may have been tempted to just paint the rear panel black when setting up the tank but hopefully I will have successfully blended this in with a natural look.

     Further specs will be added as I expand upon the project's progress.

     So there it is, just one of the things that I have been up to that has keep me away from blogging but as the nights are now truly drawing in I am sure that many more posts will be coming your way. 

Til the next time, take care...

John

14 comments:

  1. John!!! My husband creates and maintains aquariums for a living and Amano is one of his idols!!! I showed him this post and he said, "Where are the pictures of the tank up and running?!" And then I told him I wanted to do a blog post with pictures of our home tanks so you could see them but he insists they don't look good enough right now to share with someone who knows about Takashi Amano's work. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jennifer, I may know of Takashi Amano's work but when it comes to aquariums I am a complete novice and learning all the time. You may tell your husband that he has nothing to worry about as future posts on my aquarium will surely prove ;-)

      Delete
  2. HI John. Last time I looked into an aquarium (last Friday at Yuki's house) it had a Rattlesnake in it. I do hope you decide on fish or at least something that lives in water. Personally I've not had good luck with aquariums. The fish always seem to die on me. Probably my fault, but I do have a fishy (not green) thumb. I can catch them, just can't keep them in an aquarium.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Mark, not to worry as there are fish in the aquarium as this post should have been written back in August the aquarium has moved on somewhat. As for catching them in the great outdoors, well plans are afoot for next year my good man.

      Delete
  3. The HG has wanted an aquarium for a hundred years. But we literally have no where to put one yet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhhh the old 'no space excuse' m'dear ;-) Tell your beloved HG to check out the present fad for 'Nano Aquariums' as I am sure that you will find a space for one of these micro worlds. They are really quite fascinating and not too expensive. Also they would bring light to a dark corner and if situated where you both spend a lot of time they are a wonderful thing to watch. There are many options these days even for the small aquarium in fact the fish in mine are usually found in such tanks as none of them will grow to more than half an inch.

      Delete
  4. A good start. Hopefully the "cast iron plant" will enjoy where it is. In days gone by, I think most of them had to put up with very dark and dingy conditions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are indeed correct DC, "cast iron plants" were indeed a favorite in dark victorian homes and proved difficult to kill with a tolerance for many conditions and harsh treatment, hence the name I guess. I forgot to mention that along with the Aspidistra I threw in a very disheveled Peace Lily and since potting them in August they are both lush and strong and complement each other as their leaves merge together.

      Delete
  5. Holy shit. You are building like....a sanctuary, yes?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah sweet Maria, such dulcet tones ;-) a sanctuary for troubled mind perhap

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looking forward to seeing your aquarium when its complete John .I hope you enjoy creating it along the way , I do believe that they are very soothing for our minds. .. I hope it brings you much joy and calm.
    Bron **

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Bron, too a large extent it has proved very calming.

      Delete
  8. Aquariums are great things for watching and soothing the mind. I look forward to the pictorial journey, my friend.

    Lhiats, TB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey TB, just put 'stage 2' up and then your comment here appears, must be psychic my good man!

      Delete

Feel free to comment but no blaspheming now...