Ok so onto stage 2 of my 'Restful project' as it now become known. So a week or after the picture in stage 1 was taken the tank then looked like this......
|Not the best picture....damn that mobile phone camera, damn it to Hades!|
.... I kept the design simple but at the same time wanted to incorporate something that reminded myself of the reasons for taking this project on. The base layer of substrate is a blend of aqua soil (none fertilised) and baked clay on top of this is a layer of river washed slate fragments (no hard edges). The wood formation upon the left of the tank comprises 4 pieces of reclaimed bogwood plus a 'bought on a whim' carved asian wood group of fungi (takes all sorts I guess). Out of clear view behind the fungi is a small Victorian clay vial providing a hidden cave, which was found whilst clearing an area in Compromise Garden. On the right hand side of the I have used sandstone blocks to create some 'small steps', which are the reminder that with my mental issues to take each tiny positive for what it is and that anything can be accomplished with just small steps.
Filtration at this stage is provided by a Fluval 206 external filter, with a Protemp heater/thermostat combo providing a stable temperature of 24 degrees centigrade and lighting is provided via a Aqua One 'Plant Glo' LED controlled by an electronic timer set for 10 hours. Oh just a word about this light from Aqua One, the aquarium is an Aqua One 620T (with original cover dispensed with) so one would have thought that an Aqua One overhead LED set up would just slot on to the top edging strip of the aquarium wouldn't one? Well bollocks it didn't but after a good half hour of slicing the edging strip with an extremely sharp blade the LED could be said to be made for this aquarium, arse.
I think that the overall hardscaping is pleasing to the eye and blends with the 3D rear panel reasonably well. Also added at this stage were the first plants which were chosen not just on their aesthetics but on them being easy to maintain in the aquarium. On the left of the aquarium attached to the wood are small clumps of Java fern whilst behind the wood attached to a piece of broken brick is Java fern 'Windelov' and on the right hand side of the aquarium the initial plants are Crypto Wendtii and Crypto Legroi.
And that is about it for stage 2 apart from to say that the Aquarium was then left to cycle for a few weeks and in the picture you can perhaps see the beginnings of the algae bloom that was starting to take hold at this early stage. As for the black art of water chemistry more shall be said about this in future stages, well if I learn anything about it that be!
Til the next time take care,