The extra bits...(Under construction).

Thursday, 5 November 2015

Aquarium stage 2 ....


     Ok so onto stage 2 of my 'Restful project' as it now become known. So a week or after the picture in stage 1 was taken the tank then looked like this......

Not the best picture....damn that mobile phone camera, damn it to Hades!

      .... I kept the design simple but at the same time wanted to incorporate something that reminded myself of the reasons for taking this project on. The base layer of substrate is a blend of aqua soil (none fertilised) and baked clay on top of this is a layer of river washed slate fragments (no hard edges). The wood formation upon the left of the tank comprises 4 pieces of reclaimed bogwood plus a 'bought on a whim' carved asian wood group of fungi (takes all sorts I guess). Out of clear view behind the fungi is a small Victorian clay vial providing a hidden cave, which was found whilst clearing an area in Compromise Garden. On the right hand side of the I have used sandstone blocks to create some 'small steps', which are the reminder that with my mental issues to take each tiny positive for what it is and that anything can be accomplished with just small steps.

      Filtration at this stage is provided by a Fluval 206 external filter, with a Protemp heater/thermostat combo providing a stable temperature of 24 degrees centigrade and lighting is provided via a Aqua One 'Plant Glo' LED controlled by an electronic timer set for 10 hours. Oh just a word about this light from Aqua One, the aquarium is an Aqua One 620T (with original cover dispensed with) so one would have thought that an Aqua One overhead LED set up would just slot on to the top edging strip of the aquarium wouldn't one?   Well bollocks it didn't but after a good half hour of slicing the edging strip with an extremely sharp blade the LED could be said to be made for this aquarium, arse. 

     I think that the overall hardscaping is pleasing to the eye and blends with the 3D rear panel reasonably well. Also added at this stage were the first plants which were chosen not just on their aesthetics but on them being easy to maintain in the aquarium. On the left of the aquarium attached to the wood are small clumps of Java fern whilst behind the wood attached to a piece of broken brick is Java fern 'Windelov' and on the right hand side of the aquarium the initial plants are Crypto Wendtii and Crypto Legroi. 

      And that is about it for stage 2 apart from to say that the Aquarium was then left to cycle for a few weeks and in the picture you can perhaps see the beginnings of the algae bloom that was starting to take hold at this early stage. As for the black art of water chemistry more shall be said about this in future stages, well if I learn anything about it that be!

Til the next time take care,

John

14 comments:

  1. I like aquarium s but the pump noise would drive me to distraction - unless it could be off during the day and only on at night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhh but the modern filter/pump compos are quiet me dear, no noise pollution here ;-)

      Delete
  2. "Vulnerable to fin nippers" was a sign I saw at pet shop the other day, referring to some drapy little tropical fish

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I have to that a little fin nipping isn't a bad thing in my book Simon..... ooohhh you were talking about fish!!!

      Delete
  3. Coming along quite nicely. Looking forward to Stage 3.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mark, tis all a game of patience me feels.

      Delete
  4. Everything looks great so far John! I love java fern. I also really like the slate fragments.

    How I wish the Atlantic Ocean wasn't between us; Gregg could give you more plants and excess gear than you'd know what to do with, not to mention help and advice! I can't wait to show him this post tonight, he's finally taking an interest in my blog now that one of my blogger pals is starting an aquarium!

    I hope you're enjoying the process so far. Keep the updates coming!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I hope that Gregg is not too disappointed with my efforts thus far Jennifer, tis indeed a pity we are on other sides of the pond.

      Delete
  5. Aquariums are fascinating to watch, unfortunately the only time that Ben saw one he was frantically trying to get in it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have admit if Bramble could figure out how she'd be in this one Pam!

      Delete
  6. It's looking restful and calming already :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rach, certainly helps just sitting and watching it :-)

      Delete
  7. We had a small aquarium when Liv was a baby. It held one fish. A goldfish named Georgia. She grew to be nearly five inches long. Then, Liv suggested that we get her a friend, so I purchased another gold fish. No..she didn't it. It had some sort of disease and killed them both within a week's time. On Christmas DAY. Ugh. Memories of that haunt me still. Back then, I hated it when it was time to clean the aquarium, do you have the same worries or is that unnecessary now?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, aquariums are very relaxing. I used to work in a very stressful country and we had two tanks in the office and they helped enormously in bringing calmness to me and my colleagues.
    Looking forward to seeing the fish John.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to comment but no blaspheming now...