Firstly the algae bloom became quite severe and I decided to take some steps to help combat this whilst the tank matured and the bacteria levels increased in the external filter. Firstly I increased the number of plants including some relatively fast growing Aponogeton Natans bulbs, a couple of Nymphaea Lotus bulbs, Java moss and finally some Eleocharis Parvula. Because of the aquariums window ledge situation I also added floating plants to help filter out some of the sunlight, these being common Duckweed and Amazon Frogbit. I cut my artificial lighting down from 10 to 9 hours and finally I have introduced carbon dioxide at a very low level to increase plant growth. As in life an aquarium is about achieving balance through trial and error. After just a couple of weeks the algae was almost non existent and the aquarium had started to shine.
Also the aquarium is now stocked with fish and shrimp but these I shall leave for a later post. As the Acer tree in Compromise garden shed its leaves the other week I added a few washed ones to the aquarium as the plants, invertebrates and fish I have chosen all come from forested waters and leaf build up in the water is part of their world. I shall leave you with a few pictures of the aquarium, further updates will focus more upon specifics and hopefully with more detail.
Until the next time take care,