The extra bits...(Under construction).

Friday, 20 November 2015

Aquarium stage 3 ....

     Quite a time gap between stages 2 and 3 and if you remember stage 2 had the initial planting done and the expected algae bloom had just started as the tank began to cycle. Stage 3 is the aquarium just about three weeks ago and it has changed considerably. 

     Firstly the algae bloom became quite severe and I decided to take some steps to help combat this whilst the tank matured and the bacteria levels increased in the external filter. Firstly I increased the number of plants including some relatively fast growing Aponogeton Natans bulbs, a couple of Nymphaea Lotus bulbs, Java moss and finally some Eleocharis Parvula. Because of the aquariums window ledge situation I also added floating plants to help filter out some of the sunlight, these being common Duckweed and Amazon Frogbit. I cut my artificial lighting down from 10 to 9 hours and finally I have introduced carbon dioxide at a very low level to increase plant growth. As in life an aquarium is about achieving balance through trial and error. After just a couple of weeks the algae was almost non existent and the aquarium had started to shine.

     Also the aquarium is now stocked with fish and shrimp but these I shall leave for a later post. As the Acer tree in Compromise garden shed its leaves the other week I added a few washed ones to the aquarium as the plants, invertebrates and fish I have chosen all come from forested waters and leaf build up in the water is part of their world. I shall leave you with a few pictures of the aquarium, further updates will focus more upon specifics and hopefully with more detail.












Until the next time take care,

John

10 comments:

  1. Looks good John. Nice and clear. So far you've done a great job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mark, it's so tempting to rush an aquarium for me but so far this has been a slow and restful process and it seems to 'tell' me which direction it wants to evolve, if that makes sense.

      Delete
  2. John, you have great patience. I know that to get the ph of the water right is something that cannot be rushed, nevertheless I would find that a very hard thing to do. Your tank is looking really very bright and shiny and it is tormenting me in not seeing the fish :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah but Mel the fish are there if you look closely ;-) I've actually gone for what are generally termed as 'nano fish' though the term 'bloody small fish' is more apt m'thinks. You can see fish in the top 3 pics and a Cherry shrimp on the wood in the bottom pic, believe it or not Mel there are over 40 fish and shrimp in the aquarium!

      Delete
  3. I looks lovely, I always love looking at tank fish in the shops. Cardinal tetras are those ones?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Simon, yes Cardinal Tetras are quite a common fish in aquarium though they would be three times the size of any fish in mine.

      Delete
  4. I hadn't heard of micro fish, a great idea. Love the planting especially those big round leaves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you DC, micro or nano fish are something new to me and I have found that more thought has to be taken if you want a 'more than one species' aquarium when choosing this fish, but the return in color and pleasure these little gems bring is more than worth it. The round leaved plants are Anubias of which there are 3 forms in this aquarium, originally from Africa these are amongst the easiest aquarium plants to grow tolerating a range of conditions that would see other plants off.

      Delete
  5. It's like looking at another world. Well done John!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dave, it is fast becoming a world in which it is easy to forget troubles and time.

      Delete

Feel free to comment but no blaspheming now...