The extra bits...(Under construction).

Saturday, 21 November 2015

The Morris Minor Chronicles I .....

     Well that was a hair raising journey back from Crewe this morning, even if I do say so myself. It was probably the most thrilling 50mph that I have known, ever! To say that old classic cars don't compare to their modern counterparts is the biggest understatement since Noah said "I feel a spot of moisture in the air"! Forget all things like brakes that will bring you to a stop quickly and safely, forget pinpoint accuracy from your powered steering, forget doors that actually don't let daylight in, forget a myriad of sensory inputs allowing you to monitor every miniscule change in your automobile, powered widows? pah!, fingertip controls? you are joking? 

     Not for the faint hearted is the driving of classic cars m'thinks but there is one thing to be said about driving the Moggie home and that is "bloody hell that was one hundred percent fun". No it doesn't have brakes, steering, suspension, nor handling like a modern car, in fact I'm not sure it has any of these full bloody stop! Yes it has holes in the floor, funny bangs from god only knows where (one very, very loud one that keep cropping up to scare the proverbial crap out of me!) and a ton of things that need fixing, replacing and sorting. But one thing she does have that proves that I was right in buying her and that is character!This little wreck of a car is absolutely packed with the stuff, yes many would baulk at taking on such a project but for me the little Moggie is a dream come true...... my first classic car restoration. 


So the paint is crap and the panels don't fit.....
...... she has her own micro climate ........
.......she is basic and that is being very kind.......
......she is no sleek sportster....

...... but she is mine and she has come home.


     So there we have it, the Moggie has landed and I can now look forward to being covered in crap, lots of cuts and scuffs on my ...er.. delicate?... skin and a vocabulary that will turn a Irish dock worker scarlet with embarrassment! I am truly looking forward to this, and I hope that you will stick around for the journey.

Til the next time take care,

John

20 comments:

  1. It sounds like she got a good home! Congratulations and have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nothing like wrenching on an old car to keep you pointed in the right direction. Good choice. The moss on the window sill is a nice touch. I expect to see that thing ready for the Concourse D'Lemons by the spring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think she could enter the Concourse D'Lemons right now and give the mundane, the oddball and the truly awful a run for their money in her present state, hopefully this time next year she'll be ineligible for it. Glad you like the moss though I think that may be transplanted to the garden.

      Delete
  3. You'll have a great time working on her - we used to have an old MGB GT and that was hard work to drive without power steering - but the hardest part was getting out of the damn thing - no good at all for arthritic knees! So that's one problem you won't have with your Moggie Minor John xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the crawling under her though will aggravate me knackered knees Trudie! Funny enough if, after the mot, she proves sound enough to be worked upon I'll be hunting down some MGB parts as upgrades for her.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Why thank you Mr. Smythe although she prefers to be referred to as her, she or m'lady ;-)

      Delete
  5. I remember buying rubber covers for the foot peddles on one car I owned (not a Morris 1000), and they were essential. May I recommend that you do the same; slipping a foot on a peddle can be nasty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankfully my feet were dry on the journey home Cro, though I shall act upon your wise counsel my good man.

      Delete
  6. Ah, ain't she sweet! Good luck, take your time and enjoy every minute, swearing and all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you DC, oh the swearing is truly the best bit ;-)

      Delete
  7. It's a known fact that old cars tend to be not as tight as a new one. But if one has the ability to make it new, it'll be wonderful. I, on the other hand, am a new car guy. Car problems are the only thing that make me instantly ballistic. That's why my 2000 Silverado is gone and a 2013 has replaced it (including BIG warranties).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The thing I find with modern cars, yes I have a 2007 Audi, is that they do the job seamlessly but lift the bonnet and one swiftly slams it shut in the the face of all the technology lurking there. The intention, if after her MOT tis viable, is not to make her new but enjoyable my friend.

      Delete
  8. Oh she's great John! I love Moggies - we had one that was originally a post office van and I still remember the reg. You'll have a great time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jane, though I am holding my breath until after her MOT. It's not that I expect her to pass, not by a long way, but I need to know if she is structurally solid enough to be a viable project.

      Delete
  9. She looks wonderful! Did you try pumping the brakes to see if you could breathe any life in them? I had to do that with an old car or two. I also prayed some of my most ardent prayers in those moments.

    You made it home safely with her, both of you as in tact as when you started, so that's a good sign.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Megan, I'm afraid her brakes are far past the stage of breathing life into them....looks like a refurb of them will be in order. Not only did we arrive intact I also had a huge smile on me face.

      Delete
  10. I am going to be loving watching you restore this beauty. We have an old landrover that needs love and car but she is a trooper. and like you said, new cars you cant work on, this one you can weld and fix when it needs it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sol. If you read the next installment welding be the operative word.

      Delete

Feel free to comment but no blaspheming now...