The extra bits...(Under construction).

Saturday, 26 December 2015

Tortoise or Hare?....

     The New year is fast approaching and the old one will soon be behind us, which is traditionally the time for new beginnings, for unrealistic resolutions (but all with good intention) and for the girding of loins for the year ahead. So what has this here rotund, Black Dog hounded, Welshman resolved to do this coming year? Bugger all that's what!

     Now do not misunderstand me, it is not as if my life could not be improved and I certainly could be a far better person based upon the evidence of my past. But I will not be drawn into the trap of making resolutions to change perceived failings of mine that I do not have a cat in Hells chance of maintaining. No, I would rather just try to make slow and gentle changes that will be long lasting and will make a real difference to myself and those that I love. Living with and slowly coming to terms with the Black dog has at least taught me that 'slow n steady' wins the race and certainly past tactics of mine in trying to change who I am by rushing like a bull at a gate headlong into perceived better ways have been doomed to failure from the start, and failing certainly allows the Black dog to strengthen her grip upon my life. No, I realise now that slow changes are needed if the dog is to be kept at bay, for my life to be more fulfilled and for me to become that 'better person', especially to others. A rash series of resolutions that will swiftly fall by the wayside is not the answer for me, and I say 'for me' as we are all different and making the yearly batch of resolutions may indeed work for others.

      So how do I intend to improve my life this coming year? Well for a start there is something that has already started and which I hope to continue and expand upon and that is learning to realise that I am who I am in the moment. All the bad, and yes good, of the past has shaped me into who I am at this precise moment in time. I cannot change the past anymore than I can predict the future and learning to accept myself for who or what I am is, I believe, the key to breaking the dog's hold upon my life. It sounds simple enough but believe me when I tell you it is a far from simple thing to achieve as the past still haunts me and dreams of the future still cloud my mind. The trend, I believe, is to call such a way of thinking 'mindfulness' but I have never been one for trends and I prefer just calling it 'being me'.

      More run of the mill stuff is that I really must become less rotund as my bloody knees are going to give up the ghost if they have to keep supporting my winter store of lard. But again, as regular readers will know that this is a topic that keeps popping up throughout my scribings hence will not be a 'new' resolution. I certainly wish to walk more this year after last year's complete shambles of none adventure but this goes hand in hand with knees and rotundness so again not a 'new' resolution. Of course Rusty's restoration will be ongoing, now having her own blog here, Comprise garden and the aquarium (aquariums? shhh don't tell George) will continue to mature and help quiet my tumbling thoughts and of course there is my scribings upon here, which will still remain to be as tongue in cheek, serious, or as tangential as I like. I have had doubts about continuing my blog as you may know, but the issues that before made me doubt the good sense of allowing an insight into my life for others to see have not reappeared and as long as my words continue to help others with the Dog or bring a smile to just one person's face then I shall continue, after all I seem to have made several friends here in the blogosphere.

     There is some adventure to be had already upon the horizon with a trip to New Zealand booked (be there dragons?) where I am presently engaged in trying to organise having some more ink done whilst out there and in keeping with the antipodean theme two tickets for AC/DC have been purchased for their summer tour upon these isles, rock n roll baby. Nearer home I'm hoping that 'friends for life' will be met again this coming year as well as perhaps some others from the blogosphere. As for other adventure I thoroughly intend to make the most of any opportunities that arise and of course will keep you posted. But do not think that I am looking too far ahead, some things do require looking to the future in order to plan for and to organise but on the whole I am still just trying to live in, and appreciate the moment and will try to continue to so. I am finding this step by small step living less taxing than the reflecting too much on the gone and the worrying or dreaming to much about the future and I am slowly (very slowly) coming to terms with myself in the 'now'.

     So yes no resolutions made apart from 'I'm not making a New year resolution' but a year ahead full of promise, adventure before dementia and one hopefully less affected by the Dog. Oh and yes I did say in my previous post that I would not be posting before the New year but I had to do something today to take my mind off my over stuffed and uncomfortably full stomach. It would interesting to know what plans you all have for this coming year, if you have resolutions in mind and if you manage to keep them! 

Until the next time, take good care and a very Happy New year to one and all of you.

John

22 comments:

  1. Hi John,

    Your plans for the new year sound very reasonable and we'll thought out. I hope 2016 is a good one for you, my friend!

    I plan to continue my quest to find a new job. I had some near misses this past year and I've gained lots of interviewing experience. So hopefully by this time next year I'll be settled into my next career. Besides that, I really need to lose some weight. Like you, I believe small steady changes to get healthier is the way to go. I'd like to be more fit by June so that my husband and I can go on a vacation requiring swimsuits for our 10th wedding anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The best of luck in your quest for a new job Jennifer, I think that attaining a 'healthy' body goes hand in hand with one's mental state m'dear.

      Delete
  2. Much the same as you John - no resolutions, planning a few nice weekends away, trying to loose some weight and save the old knackered knees, beat the weeds at the allotment and then coping with the everyday crap that comes along occasionally although even that's not so stressful now we're both retired. Happy New Year xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh to be retired, now that would help indeed.

      Delete
  3. Becoming less round is a goal of mine as well and one I have already made some gains (pun intended) on. Quitting smoking is the hardest thing I try and do and always fail at.

    Maybe cleaning your storage building up again? Has it stayed clean or is it back to what it was in that one pic?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never smoked PP, well apart from the odd 'funny one' back in the day though I do believe it is hard to quit. As for my shed? bloody well worse than ever!

      Delete
  4. Medications tend to mess around with your weight, I find

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think everything messes with mine Simon.

      Delete
  5. So what has this here . . . resolved to do...? Bugger all that's what!
    That's the best advise yet... and for god's sake don't take your self so seriously.....

    ReplyDelete
  6. 2015 was a varying collection of Horrid and so I bid it adieu and am glad to see the back of it. One of the good things about 2015, though, is that I declared it a year of Unplanning. I made no resolutions, had no "word" and no goals beyond living life and cultivating a sense of Home. That's what saved me, I think. And I plan on not-planning again for 2016 -- again just giving myself a broad outline of what I'd like to do and leaving it at that, letting it unfold as it will.

    The whole mindfulness/living in the moment thing can be a right pain in the backside when wielded by certain factions, but there's some genuine magic contained therein so I use it in a way that works for me and sod the rainbow-sparkle unicorns. :)

    Best wishes for all of the wonder and delight the universe has to offer in 2016. I'm so glad you decided to maintain the bloggy-course....coming here is always a breath of fresh air.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sage advice Mel, and thank you for the kind words. x

      Delete
  7. I'm a firm believer in "slowly slowly catchy monkey" otherwise I would never get anything done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am certainly beginning to see the light DC

      Delete
  8. I'm like you! No plans because I'm then set up to fail! I am going to go Nordic Walking though! Yes I might look a bit of a pillows first go but I'm going to give it a good bash X

    ReplyDelete
  9. Now Nordic Walking is something I have considered before Rach as its benefits seem to far outweigh the 'pillows' impersonation during the first few attempts, definitely go for it my ickle northern friend. x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Personally I don't like to celebrate New Year. It has been very long since I felt that I had something to look forward to in the future. I'm just happy to be able to face my life as it is right now, and I have now reached a point where I can imagine living my life in a simple manner with my dogs, my family, my crafts, my blogs and sports on telly. That in itself is a big deal for me! And two of my furbabies hate fireworks so I could easily skip this coming holiday... But I wish you all the best for the new year and hope you enjoy your trip to NZ - it is an amazingly beautiful country that I fell totally in love with when I visited it:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Annie, I have come to realise tis the simple things that are far more important and make facing life that bit easier. many thanks for your comment.

      Delete
  11. No resolutions over here in NorCal. I gave that up years ago because I never kept them anyway. I hear that there are some BIG Trout in New Zealand. Keep banging away at the dog. You have a lot of friends out here to keep you propped up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I shall have to perhaps have a go at them trout Mark, thanks for stopping by my friend.

      Delete
  12. No New Year Resolutions here either John - they tend to be the same ways every year and they soon go out of the window! The trip to New Zealand sounds very exciting.

    Best wishes for a Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds like you are on the right track John. Cheers and here's to a non-resolution achievement 2016.

    Blein Vie Noa! - TB

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to comment but no blaspheming now...