The extra bits...(Under construction).

Friday, 8 January 2016

Garden Update I ....

     Well finally the rain has at least relented a little and given way to drier but colder days and it is beginning to feel like winter, not before time. The seasons certainly seem less defined and it makes me wonder how our wildlife is coping with these changes. I also find myself thinking of the people that have been affected by the recent flooding and how they cope with such devastation, it does make me realise that here in the village perched up the hills somewhat we are in a fortunate position.

     The let up in the rain has at least allowed me to get some work done in the garden, though only some of it was truly gardening the rest being a tad more structural. You may remember I had plans last year to demolish the small lean-to shed to provide more hard standing area, well I have finally demolished said lean-to the other day but the plan for more hard standing has gone out of the window! This is entirely down to my self indulgent purchase of 'Rusty' last year because now I need to build a garage (or temporary shelter as I sold it to George ahem) for the restoration of the wee beastie.


If I had a hammer.....

All that remains of the lean-too

Gone and Rusty awaiting a garage to be built around her.

     There has been a small amount of clearing within the garden but I still have some more to do. Overall though, although quite sparse the garden is looking ok, especially the ponds....


The wildlife pond blending in really nicely

The fish pond which has settled down very well

General view 

Two new arrivals to give some formal shape to whatever space is left when the garage is built
     The main plans for the garden, beside the garage that is, are to firstly take down the rear porch being as we don't use it and it would increase the size of our tiny garden and secondly to change that white wall that can be seen in the pics to a living green wall which will hopefully increase the habitat for wildlife.

So a busy little spurt in the garden with more work to come, til the next time take care,

John

14 comments:

  1. Love seeing the green, John. I'm a little jealous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. T'was nice to be out with it Casey, you'll have to pop over sometime ;-)

      Delete
  2. The wildlife pond is lovely, you'll have croakers in there in a few weeks

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is nice to see some green. Over here everything is either dead or drowned. Can't complain about the rain though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi John , it may seem like hard work now but I'm sure that once you have achieved what you have set out to do it will all look fantastic as it is already ..great work ! Bron *

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm quite green over all of your green. The white-grey wasteland of our winter is rather trying on the soul, I must say - so thank you for posting photos so that I can bask vicariously in your lush landscape. :) xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the ponds - especially the wildlife one. I am sure all your hard work is going to pay dividends :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. John things are shaping up.
    Love the car. What make and year?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Brk, Tis a Morris Minor and she was registered in 1967.

      Delete
  8. Your garden is looking very good compared to mine. My lawns are drowned and there are many bare patches; the ornamental grasses have been bashed down by the wind and apart from a few Hellebore flowers and emerging snowdrops, there is very little to admire.
    I'm so looking forward to sunshine, dry days and warmth, so that I can tidy things up, re-turf and enjoy making a start on this year's tan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps you could get rid of the lawn and plant some more and add a pond Rambler?

      Delete
  9. Bits of the lawn do get removed for extra planting, but I have to be able to get to the surrounding hedges to keep them trimmed. I'd love a pond - but so would my Collie dog - he would think of it as his own private wallowing pool! I also have to bear in mind that my young grandchildren visit . . .
    It's quite a problem, because I think the plants are set off by a nice green lawn, yet the way things are going, it seems that we are due to have wetter and wetter winters and I live on the edge of Bodmin Moor! Grrrrrrrr.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You've started the new year well, nothing like a bit of knocking down and clearing away! I've hardly had my nose out of the door, this wet weather with such low light levels gives me the glums.
    Rusty gives me fond memories of our first car, a split screen Morris Minor. Aah, those red leather seats! We paid £85 for it and it took us everywhere!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely pictures John. Good progress and thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to comment but no blaspheming now...