The extra bits...(Under construction).

Sunday, 13 March 2016

Garden update 2016/I...

     Forgive my tardiness in failing to keep you updated with our small garden and attempts to attract wildlife into an urban environment but I have been a tad busy of late, what with traveling to the far side of the world, working at the crap fun factory and generally getting my head together. I suppose a little refresher on why I wish to encourage wildlife to such a small plot in the midst of a sizable village is called for. I have loved wildlife and the outdoors now for fifty years and still know so little about it but what I do know is that as the human race continues to grow and greedily consumes this beautiful orb's resources the very things that make life possible are slowly been crowded out, in effect we are bringing about our own extinction by our very success.

     So I have this idea that if every usable place in urban sprawls could be turned over to nature and we then begin to live in harmony with it surrounding all that we do then perhaps we may have a chance of allowing nature and ourselves to evolve together into something that benefits and does not destroy our home, that's why I am gardening for nature. Well that's the twaddle over with.....

      The main bones of the garden were finally set in place last year with the completion of the central fish pond, though an ornamental fish pond is not that conducive for local wildlife it does encourage visitors to investigate from afar and hopefully then they will discover the smaller wildlife pond which is now blending into the borders nicely. Further plans are encourage the surrounding boundary fences and walls to become vertical living areas to provide even more interest and cover for wildlife, the small store shed is all but complete and just requires a layer of soil upon its roof which I will not sow but rather allow what blows in on the wind to grow which I hope will encourage the most suited local plants for the living roof and finally the rear porch will be removed towards the end of summer to enable a larger sitting area from which we can sit and enjoy the wildlife around us (if it ever turns up!). Other than this the planting will be managed and hopefully improved over time as the garden matures and becomes a natural haven for all manner of wee beasties...

      Today was really nice with the sun upon my back as I pottered around and the first signs of spring are starting to make an appearance, a far cry from the confines of 12 hours in the factory where I ply my trade...

Needing to mature



A forest in minute scale




The edges of the pond are slowly being softend

The log pile coated with self seeded plants

The boundaries require vertical planting

So very soothing
       So there you have it, this years first garden update. Til the next time, take good care of each other

John the relaxed

16 comments:

  1. I see a future post where you walk out back and a bear is sitting there eating your fish...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tis funny as that is Bramble's nick name (hence the blog title) and she is forever gazing at the goldfish in the pond.

      Delete
  2. I feel calmer just looking at the pictures. You're doing a great job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mark, hopefully it'll improve with age (unlike myself)

      Delete
  3. Coming along nicely. I think each year it will just get better and better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dc, just waiting for some critters to come a calling now

      Delete
  4. We get dragonfly and damselfly nymphs in our fish pond so I'm sure they'll use yours too. It's all coming together lovely :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well thanks to you CT I know that a couple of dragons laid in the pondside moss and damselflies were dancing over the small wildlife pond last year so hopefully there will be signs of life this year

      Delete
  5. It's looking great. I wish my garden looked like that. You've worked wonders. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jules, I've a long way to go yet.

      Delete
  6. Your garden is looking lovely and I'm sure you will have even more wildlife visiting it this year. Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi John , your garden looks like a very tranquil place to justsit and let the world go by. ..lovely flowers, great pics ..I am always looking for different types of ground covers for my gardens.Just over the past few weeks I have heard the frogs again by my kitchen window and a few mire bees ... good luck with everything!
    Take care * Bron

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to comment but no blaspheming now...