The extra bits...(Under construction).

Monday, 7 March 2016

It's the simple things....

     Sometimes tis the simplest of things that can make a man realise that life is for living and they can sometimes even bring a twitch of a smile to this grumpy Welshman's stern face. Take today for instance, I arose from my troubled slumber and sat on the edge of the bed with about as much get up and go as an Anaconda who has just eaten a particularly large Tapir and who had also consumed an extremely overweight Three Toed Sloth for desert! Although it was Brass Monkey temperature outside the sky was clear of cloud and the brightly shining sun was awfully tempting so I decided to brave the world outside and spend some time tidying our small back garden. Just small jobs such as replacing the knackered bird feeder, clearing the borders a tad, picking up 'dog daisies' and the like. Without even noticing that my lack of enthusiasm and my lethargic blanket had dissipated in the crisp, fresh air and I found myself at peace with my thoughts, untroubled by the past and its dark times for once.

     The morning soon past and before I knew it my girl was home from work. Whilst she changed I rustled up a simple but very tasty mushroom omelette for lunch after which we headed out for a look around a local garden center where just being able to stroll around hand in hand (after a brew and some rather nice lemon n coconut cake) continued to add to my feeling of being at peace. The visit was made just about perfect when this little fellow sang his heart out less than a couple of feet from us as we wandered through temptation from the myriad of beautiful plants for sale....




     I guess what I am trying to say in my usual rambling manner is to take pleasure in the simple things that the world has to offer is something that is often overlooked in this hectic life. But the simple things can be the difference between opening your mind to actually embracing and living your life, letting it bring a smile to the inside of yourself, or to closing yourself off from the world and letting the darkness consume you.

Til the next time, take care of yourselves,

John the awake.

21 comments:

  1. What a sweet little bird! What kind is it? It looks a little bit like our House Finches.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jennifer, not a finch m'dear but one of our most loved birds over here.....Robin Redbreast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our Robins don't look like that at all! Or maybe it's the light....hmmmm. Interesting!

      Delete
    2. I don't think that they are related to what you call 'robins' Jennifer, they seem to restricted just to Europe.

      Delete
    3. You are right! I googled it last night and they're not closely related at all. You learn something new every day!

      Delete
  3. Oh my that was so sweet, romantic and sensitive I want to shoot that bird with my .410 shotgun now :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very true John. The smallest of things can bring pleasure, and often do. I think our feathered wildlife wear watches, they turn up for lunch every day at EXACTLY mid-day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here Cro, the birds do seem to have their own time pieces.

      Delete
  5. Lovely post my friend- we are on the same wavelength :-). Did you know smiling soothes your nervous system? I read it last week. I'm smiling constantly now. My family all think I've gone more nutty than usual ;-). X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your comment actually made me smile CT as it brought to me a mental picture of the terminator in the latest film smiling when trying to fit in, then got me thinking of how folk who know me would react if I went around smiling all the time.....probably the with the same reaction as you've received m'dear x

      Delete
    2. Do it, John- it would bd worth it just to see their faces :-) x

      Delete
  6. I found a lovely little robin scuttling around in someone's garden in between the nick-nacks, and I was very pleased to see it as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They always seem to raise a smile don't they Simon :-)

      Delete
  7. There are house sparrows that raise babies every year in an old nest box outside our kitchen window. Gregg and I watched for almost a half hour the other day as the current pair carried in bits of straw and fluff to line the nest. Watching them and the birds at our feeders is one of our greatest joys in life. It's truly the simple things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now nesting sparrows are something that would be most welcome in our small garden m'dear, I am feeling a tad envious.

      Delete
  8. As I have just finished some time spent by the kitchen window - washing eggs, watching the hens scratch in the backyard, listening to spring's new arrivals (American robins, red-wing blackbirds and plovers), hearing our over-wintering birds starting to sing their spring songs, going over the recipe my better half and I are having for lunch, and planning a "pint session" with friends in town this coming Friday afternoon - I can very easily and happily say : well said.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hubby and myself have just spent and hour watching a murmuring of starlings over our home. The aerial acrobatics was awesome. It is the first time we have seen this and it brought a lump to our throats. I have recorded it on the Gloucestershire biology website who are conducting studies as they are in decline. As for Robins they are my all time favourites and take me back to childhood when one would sit on my fathers spade as he tended his allotment. You will not go far wrong with natures soothing beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I could watch a murmuration of starlings for hours, reminds me of shoals of fish evading predators. You are indeed right about nature's soothing beauty Annie.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to comment but no blaspheming now...