The extra bits...(Under construction).

Tuesday, 8 March 2016

The land of the long white cloud....I

     Tis been well over a week since we returned to Britain from New Zealand and I still have had no time to trawl through the pictures and regale you all with tales of our adventures on the other side of the world. But I can tell you that the 'land of the long white cloud' has had a profound effect upon me and has also reaffirmed my belief that the life I lead can be more positive and perhaps the dog can be caged for good, time will tell.

     But it was not just the land that called to me but also the first people, the Maori. Being able to sit and talk to these proud people and hear their history told in their own words is something that shall live with me until the grave. 



     New Zealand is a country of contrast, where in modern cities such as Auckland there is a richness of cultures and people yet without having the same greyness or despondency I find in our own cities such as London, Manchester and the like. Yet further afield when driving upon south island we came across small communities that seem a throwback to days of yore where everyone knows each other and walking into a bar we cause the room to fall silent for a few seconds as all n sundry crane necks to take a look at the strangers. But everywhere we went we were greeted openly and with warm smiles, although sometimes also pity when they realised my passion was Welsh rugby (after all the men in black are revered as gods there). 

     And why is it called the land of the long white cloud, well just take a look......











     ....you can see why it spoke to me, it's like Wales but on steroids! Will we return? the answer is most certainly yes as it has a piece of me still left there. There will of course be more posts about our adventure in due time, but for now tis time to sign off and curl up by the fire.

Until the next time take care,

John the Adventurer

23 comments:

  1. Some of those photos don't even look real! Simply stunning!

    Coming back to real life must have been hard after spending time in such a magical place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Jennifer, did come back to earth with a bump though the visit certainly has changed my outlook upon life more than I thought possible.

      Delete
  2. Hi John , amazing photos, it is certainly a place I will be going to explore next year. .the people I know that have been come back saying that it was like a spiritual journey for them ..culture and the people of NEW ZEALAND. So happy that you wete able to experience such a beautiful country. Take care * Bron

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Bron, you will enjoy every moment there my dear friend.

      Delete
  3. I almost got to live there for a while. I was invited to submit several examples of my armoring and other lost arts for the Lord of the Rings Movies to work on the props production. Sadly I didn't make the final cut as they decreased the number of artisans they ended up taking over there with them. I was originally hired then let go before I even got to start. It would have been fun though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So close yet so far PP, I didn't realise you turned your hand to such stuff, you must tell me more my good man.

      Delete
    2. I did medieval re-enactment stuff for decades. Finally started toning it down when I hit 40 though as the fighting part does take it's toll on the body. I also did armoring, illumination and various other things for the period. Hollywood will come and recruit artisans from our group quite often but they usually never make it past the California crowd but with LOTR they needed so many they were actively recruiting from all over the world.

      Delete
  4. My sister has lived there since the 60's. I believe the word 'Maori' means 'of the normal type'; how very apt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not heard that definition of the word maori before Cro but it is indeed very apt. I must admit to being envious of your sister my man.

      Delete
  5. I shall probably never visit but it has long been the only country in the world I would like to live.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Never say never DC, I am in my fifty first year and the phrase 'adventure before dementia' is becoming my motto ;-)
    To live there would indeed be special.....maybe a place to retire to?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stunning photographs.
    It's the place we planned to emigrate to until ill health, and the loss of a teaching career, prevented that. There's a small part of me that is still sad about that, but I'm a believer in fate and it obviously wasn't meant to be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Scarlet, though the photographs do not do justice to the majesty of the land.
      Fate is something I to believe in but also sometimes it is good to just forge ahead and see what happens.

      Delete
  8. Great pictures and a great start to your story. Keep it coming.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the pictures John. Looking forward to more and the stories.

    Sorry about the Rugby thing thought. That'd be a bit hard...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It'll be harder if we lose the England tomorrow TB

      Delete
    2. It'll be harder if we lose the England tomorrow TB

      Delete
  10. Fantastic photos, it looks an amazing place to visit (and somewhere I'd love to go to!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Louise, it truly is somewhere special :-)

      Delete
    2. Thank you Louise, it truly is somewhere special :-)

      Delete
  11. New Zealand looks amazing, it must have been difficult to bid it farewell. Sarah x

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to comment but no blaspheming now...