The extra bits...(Under construction).

Saturday, 2 July 2016

The winds of change.....

     .....And no I am not talking about the affects of sprouts upon my delicate constitution! No, for some time now you may have picked up from posts past that I am not entirely happy with my working life. I have been a factory worker for far to many years that I care, or can for that matter, remember and there is always one constant that pisses me off about this. I enjoy my work and if I am honest I am an intelligent lad and I could indeed excel at what I do but.....

      Always there be a fly in the ointment don't there? My particular fly in my work ointment is the politics and quite honestly the bullshit that abounds in the factory environment. There are 'clicks' of people that progress up the ladder not because of their work capabilities but rather their capabilities to 'brown nose' and keep in the 'face fits' crowd. Being an engineer is truly a place that sits between a rock and a very hard place, we do not produce anything that is measured in productivity terms and we are seen as the main cause of down time in the factory. We are seen as a necessary evil for without us the wheels will eventually stop rotating. As a rule we are of above average intelligence and raise our voices more often to management with objections to plans, changes or development that to them seem wonderful but are actually ill thought out and sometimes border upon being bloody stupid and I, for one am bloody tired of it all.

      You know that I have been an unsettled little bunny for a long time now and that does not bode well with the black dog always stalking moi. I have polished my CV and considered moving elsewhere to other factories but the grass is not usually greener upon the other side and each factory pretty much has the same clicks, bullshit and arseholes in charge whether at junior or senior management. I have considered writing but that is something that blows hot and cold, not good with bills to pay. So what to do? stay put and let my spirit die a slow death by drowning in bullshit? write and be damned? ....I think not, neither option seems appealing to myself but there is another and this I have decided to pursue with every part of my being, I have the support of my George, I have the nounce to make a go of it, I have the desire to make it work and for once I can see ahead away from factory life once and for all. 

     What be this wonderful new path? well it will not be wonderful no, it will be hard graft, a worry and slow to start to be a success if at all. I can only hint at this new path for the time being as I still need to sort plenty out before I commit myself to it and hoist two fingers at factory work for good. As for what the path is about....well all I can say it's going to be wild.

Till next time take care,

John



11 comments:

  1. It makes me so happy to read this! I can't wait to hear more details about the new path ahead for you, and will lift a joyous glass of spirits in your honor when you finally get to hoist those two fingers at the factory! Go for it!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with the new path - pleased for you - when I worked at the local council, if you were rubbish at your job then you got promoted! If you were good at your job then you stood no chance of making it up the ladder - the top dogs needed people on the ground who could do what was needed - it's the reason why, there's so many crap managers working in local government -Good Luck John xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you. I have been in your work situation many times but not being the main bread winner, could walk away. Go man go!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, whatever it is John, good luck and I look forward to reading about it in due course. Life is too short and too precious to spend it doing something that saps your spirit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad you are finding a way out of the fun factory. Look forward to hearing more.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, John, you've certainly piqued my curiosity!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Did we not have upper management, we would never have the "Eagle and Turkey" theory. If you're not familiar with that theory, it comes down to: It's hard to soar with eagles when you work for turkeys. I applaud your decision to move on with hopes you go out in a blaze of glory. Double salute or better seems to be called for. Know we are rooting for you here on the other side of the pond.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Brilliant news! I changed direction years ago, left a job and became self employed. It was hard work and I earned less money but life was a good deal better and I've never regretted it. Good for you and I wish you luck.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi John , so happy for you making the move to get out of that place that has dragged you down over the years. Looking forward to hearing about your new path ahead. . You have come along way ..Proud of you! x Bron

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good on you for making the change :o)

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to comment but no blaspheming now...